U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 08:26 AM

83 posts, read 295,650 times

Advertisements

When someone deactivates their account on fb - is there anyway to view their wall/info before it was deactivated? In this case, the FB account is about a year deactivated can I somehow see the info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 08:39 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,897 posts, read 33,631,471 times
Enter the URL for the Facebook page into the Internet Archive: Wayback Machine and see if that site has a copy of an earlier version.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:56 AM

okay, so the url would be www.facebook.com\{person'sname}? - sorry, I'm so green that I'm actually a bit yellow.....lol

Last edited by NorthShoreMA; 05-24-2011 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: I don't know much

Old 05-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,897 posts, read 33,631,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthShoreMA View Post
okay, so the url would be www.facebook.com\{person'sname}? - sorry, I'm so green that I'm actually a bit yellow.....lol
More like www.facebook.com/profile.php?id={9-digit number specific to that account}

Old 05-24-2011, 01:31 PM

Sorry, but I wouldn't/don't know of a number specific to that account just a name...Also, if someone deactivates an account anything that was said/sent on that account no longer shows up...right? For instance, my brother deactivated fb - he used to write updates which I would see since he was my friend - now that it is deactivated, I cannot see his old updates...that is why I thought I could just type in his name - like I said I don't have any # specific to his account.....any suggestions ?

Thanks for your help btw

Old 05-24-2011, 02:34 PM

40,182 posts, read 41,790,512 times
It would no longer show up on FB's site. Anything that is accessible by a bot(usually whatever is available to public without logging in) can and will be cached as long as the website owner hasn't forbidden it*. For example Google already has a cache of this page:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...23post19291987

Quote:
This is Google's cache of Deactivated FB account. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on May 24, 2011 19:12:01 GMT. The current page could have changed in the meantime. Learn more

Read more: Deactivated FB account
You can access what Google found until the Google bot spiders the page again, might be 1 day, might be a week......might be a year. WEhen it spiders the page again it will update the cache.

What they do with the older versions is anyone guess but I'd be willing to bet they have copy of every page they ever spidered. The internet archive linked to above is a bit different because you can browse different versions based on the date. I'm not aware of any other service that has that available publicly so if you were looking for something really old that is your best bet.

Cached versions from other services can stick around for quite a while so it may or may not be available from them for quite some time.

*you could have a rogue bot that may not listen to these directives but generally speaking they will be banned form larger well manged sites.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 51,501 times
I think if someone deactivated there account, it is possible they don't want anyone to see it. Also you might be able to find that 9 digit number if you had an android phone with the contacts, synced + linked to the phone and google, some times updates like a deactivated account take a little while to permeate throughout user devices, and sometimes I have to force my phone to update, It is likely if you have the ability to restore your phone to an earlier time, you could find this info too. Backup current state on Android, then restore to the time you wan't to see profile and linked info in contacts app, after restore go into airplane mode immediately so it don't update. go to brothers contact and look through the info there you should be able to find it.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:16 PM

10,890 posts, read 13,785,795 times
No, it's gone.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:39 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,353,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
No, it's gone.
With Facebook nothing is ever really gone. All it will take is for her brother to reactivate his account - and he probably will at some point in the future, since the future is a very long time! And suddenly all those old updates she wants to see, will be available again...

Old 02-17-2012, 09:08 AM

10,890 posts, read 13,785,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
With Facebook nothing is ever really gone. All it will take is for her brother to reactivate his account - and he probably will at some point in the future, since the future is a very long time! And suddenly all those old updates she wants to see, will be available again...

Well of course...but until then...no. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or