U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:21 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,262,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
I dont think the adblock actually blocks the information, but just it blocks it from showing it to you, the information still got to your computer, so it didnt cut the bandwidth
It blocks the ads by blocking the addresses, thus preventing the downloading, thus saving bandwidth, thus how you think it works really isn't pertinent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 02:47 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,706,159 times
Sounds like the OP is slightly mistaken on bandwidth caps, 5GB is the norm for cellular carriers, not ISPs.

I suggest that you get a plan you like, sign a big fat contract and grandfather into subsequent contracts for the rest of your life. Live on, unlimited bandwidth!

Google, what's taking so long with your to-the-door unlimited 1gb/s drops? Me likey!

Old 06-01-2011, 03:53 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Sounds like the OP is slightly mistaken on bandwidth caps, 5GB is the norm for cellular carriers, not ISPs.
This

Old 06-04-2011, 03:33 PM

672 posts, read 1,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
5GB did you mean 500GB? If I watch some Netflix I've used 10GB in a single day.
I live in the boonies so I've got mobile broadband at 5GB cap per month Over the 5GB, it's $0.05 per MB

Old 06-05-2011, 05:19 AM

3,853 posts, read 11,759,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Comcasts limit is 250GB, using Youtube as example and assuming the bitrate is around 250kbps for standard video you could have 3 people on 3 separate computers watching youtube 24/7.

A limit like that will effect the P2P crowd or someone using a service like NetFlix excessively.
Regardless. Don't think they won't start dropping the caps down. This is all about generating more revenue and stopping people from cutting the cord when it comes to cable tv. If it were about just stopping p2p users then they would limit the speeds to maybe like 25% of original speed but instead they charge users for going over caps.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:58 AM

40,182 posts, read 41,790,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Regardless. Don't think they won't start dropping the caps down.
I don't think you'll see the caps drop, the need for more bandwidth will increase though. If someone is using Netflix and a few other services heavily they are going to find themselves skirting the cap already. What you'll see in the very near future is tiered service.

Quote:
This is all about generating more revenue and stopping people from cutting the cord when it comes to cable tv. If it were about just stopping p2p users then they would limit the speeds to maybe like 25% of original speed but instead they charge users for going over caps.
The days of "Unlimited" plans are over especially with all the new services that suck up a lot of bandwidth. You have a choice here, either the ISP's are allowed to move towards the type of billing and services you have with cable or everything remains net neutral and they charge for the bandwidth. I'll take the higher charges as long as the service remains neutral. The last thing I want as both a consumer and content provider is to see the ISP deciding what services they will provide bandwidth too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or