U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 10:10 AM

42,663 posts, read 75,359,941 times

Advertisements

More and more Internet providers are leaning toward a monthly limit on data, and the cost of more than 5GB is becoming an "extra charge" option.

Will the users just quietly pay the extra for the bandwidth they "need"? Or will there be pressure on websites to eliminate all the glitzy crap bandwidth that is being wasted just on flashy appearance of webpages?

I can visualize frugal users demanding a search engine that filters webpages by bandwidth, so a user will need to make a special effort to open a page that is overly loaded with visual crap and animations, creating a strong incentive for web designers to minimize the data on the portal, rather than the current bigdong competition among web designers to make their pages as data-heavy as humanly possible.

Today, 5GB is enough to browse about a thousand webpages a day. That's a lot. But even browsing 100 a day, would exhaust 10% of your allowance for downloading heavy datahogs or even watching youtube videos. You'd want to skip a bloated portal, unless you knew it had the content you wanted and there was no austere alternative.

As I recall, search engines used to specify the size of hits on the bottom line, for the benefit of users with slow dialup, but they don't even do that anymore, because generally, bandwidth came to be thrown around as if it existed in infinite quantity. Seemngly, it doesn't, but web designers still act as if it does.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-28-2011 at 10:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 04:02 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,260,164 times
Wonder how much bandwidth usage I am avoiding by blocking all ads with AdBlock+

Old 05-28-2011, 04:35 PM

26,345 posts, read 83,900,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Iuse adbluck + with firefox and I love it. Question: Does ad+ not download the ad data OR does it still dl it but not display it? If teh latter, then ad+ doesn't solve this problem. I don't really know.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:12 PM

8,565 posts, read 9,803,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Iuse adbluck + with firefox and I love it. Question: Does ad+ not download the ad data OR does it still dl it but not display it? If teh latter, then ad+ doesn't solve this problem. I don't really know.
Take a look at NoScript. No Script blocks JavaScript and most anything you don't want downloaded but allows you the options to control, including most ads. It's free and updates regularly.

To the OP, seems to me TimeWarner encourages the use of bandwidth. The have agreements with ESPN to watch sports online. The support the use of Netflix and Hulu. Those are functions of data transfer... Internet... bandwidth.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Blocks them from being downloaded.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
More and more Internet providers are leaning toward a monthly limit on data, and the cost of more than 5GB is becoming an "extra charge" option.

5GB did you mean 500GB? If I watch some Netflix I've used 10GB in a single day.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:10 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,359,941 times
Sometimes when my computer is running slow, I can see across the bottom of the screen "Loading xxx" or "Waiting for xxx"and the name of some adware. So I suspect that I am still loading it, but it gets blocked from appearing on my screen. But those might be the ads that are within the portal, and the screen just hasn't fully fleshed out yet.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:53 PM

40,169 posts, read 41,782,366 times
Comcasts limit is 250GB, using Youtube as example and assuming the bitrate is around 250kbps for standard video you could have 3 people on 3 separate computers watching youtube 24/7.

A limit like that will effect the P2P crowd or someone using a service like NetFlix excessively.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:48 PM

594 posts, read 1,185,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I dont think the adblock actually blocks the information, but just it blocks it from showing it to you, the information still got to your computer, so it didnt cut the bandwidth

Old 05-30-2011, 11:59 PM

1,824 posts, read 4,638,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
I dont think the adblock actually blocks the information, but just it blocks it from showing it to you, the information still got to your computer, so it didnt cut the bandwidth
Yes it does. Instead of pulling ad content down from servers, your computer does not resolve the addresses in the adblock lists and saves bandwidth by not downloading ad content from blocked addresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or