U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:38 AM

28,607 posts, read 40,593,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
I'm so at a loss. It is such a little bit of money that I feel like saying "You know what, I'm not interested in working like this"....but I feel like this would be bad for my reputation. Also, I should mention that on each area of advice, I supplied either a link or a demonstration of what I was talking about.
And exactly what do you think this person is going to be saying about the current situation? "I hired someone to work on my website and they keep telling me to do things to it I don't need. When I tell them what I want done they tell me I'm wrong. I feel like I'm wasting my time and my money!"

I ran a one man computer consulting company for 9 years before I retired. I dropped, or refused to work for, many people. The type of client you describe is going to be nothing but trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Oh I should also add that he is against installing/using Google Analytics...which is just pretty mind boggling to me. I could understand this...if GA was what is was back in 2006 (a slow script that held up your page load), but in my experience, that has been vastly improved. Does anyone know the reasoning behind this? Keep in mind, SEO is like his prime focus (over everything else it seems).
I'll wager that this guy has a friend who is an "expert" and he is listening to him instead of you. I can't tell you how many times I've seen this. I would just ask him why he feels this way and see if he'll tell you his source. If it's friend who is an expert ask him why this expert is not doing the work on his website.

It may sound rude, but it sounds like you aren't getting anywhere being polite about it, so you may have nothing to lose...

It would be interesting to know if he's had other people work on this site that gave up.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:22 PM

5,850 posts, read 11,182,756 times
send him a bill for work done and resign the account (hope you had a kill fee in the contract. Hope you had a contract or at least a PO) its not worth it. the guy seems like an idiot.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:40 PM

2,338 posts, read 7,073,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
send him a bill for work done and resign the account (hope you had a kill fee in the contract. Hope you had a contract or at least a PO) its not worth it. the guy seems like an idiot.
No, no contract . I presented myself as wanting a portfolio-builder on a small-fee/internship basis. The entire thing is to cost $250.

You live & you learn I guess.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:14 PM

is this aggravation really worth 250 dollars? Yep. Live and learn.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:42 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,706,159 times
GA script can be placed just above the </body> tag so that it loads last....it has literally 0 effect on load times.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:53 AM

128 posts, read 168,671 times
I have doing seo for years now I am leaving Florida just because of that reason this is a place for drunks not for tech people.

I have worked with some large seo firms since I left the service and they laugh at Florida lawyers are the worst here 1st they say they spend 100k a month on the phone book and then say they dont want to pay for seo until they are ranked , if the morons would stop taking deals for 500.00 a month from some firm in india getting them bad links they would rank.

Instead like all people in Florida they go as cheap as they can you ask most people in India about the marhov chain they thinks its a form of KFC or wendys here not the math equation thAT RUNS GOOGLE.

I am moving from florida to canada and am always looking for good seo people I wish you luck .

Old 06-15-2011, 12:44 PM

11,815 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Don't think I've ever seen a more appropriate place to post this:

How a Web Design Goes Straight to Hell - The Oatmeal

Old 06-15-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Don't think I've ever seen a more appropriate place to post this:

How a Web Design Goes Straight to Hell - The Oatmeal
Pretty much applies to the entire graphic design business.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:52 PM

I dallied with web design a couple of times when I first went out on my own. Being a careful and paranoid person, at least when it comes to making money, I spent more that the usual time finding out what clients wanted. Lots of sketches and quick graphics from Google to see their likes and dislikes.

I never designed a single site. I quickly figured out that most people want their site to look like the greatest thing since sliced bread until you show them some ideas. Then, magically, it turns out they want it to look like a doodle their 4 year old drew last night. "She is soooo gifted, isn't she?" "Uh, yeah. My advice? Let your 4 year old design the entire site."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or