U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:30 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,648,084 times

Advertisements

Try changing the routers channel to 4, hardly anyone uses that channel.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 07:56 AM

26,345 posts, read 83,906,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Is it possible your router is configured to allow only one wireless connection and someone else is connected?
Do you have wifi security?
Have you tried resetting the router and starting from scratch? This is pretty easy and for some reason it has worked for me.
I still want to know the answer to these questions.

Having no wifi security won't prevent you from connecting but having it set to allow only one connection (and someone else is using it) will.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:02 AM

13,072 posts, read 11,575,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I've been wondering if this is causing us some problems and need to look into a solution if there is one.
If it is Tek, then you should simply be able to change the channel for it. There are 13 channels you can use to tune between spaced at 5mhz intervals as per the 802.11 IEEE specifications (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11). Usually, having it auto select is sufficient, but if there are a lot of devices around using the same frequency, you may end up having channels overlapping which creates the interference. You can manually switch the channels and test to see if this resolves the issues.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:15 AM

13,072 posts, read 11,575,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Sometimes my laptop will not connect to my home wifi late in the evening. The wireless light is on and it cannot connect to a network. If I plug it into the DSL modem via an Ethernet cable, I am connected.

I do not have any parental controls on.

Any advice

TIA
Open up your manual for your WAP or wireless device you are connecting to. Follow the instructions for securing it (below are examples of what the manual will likely discuss).

Encryption (this is the base of your true security)

Use WAP2 or WAP over WEP, but WEP is fine if that is all your device supports. Higher encryption is better (128 bit is better than 40 bit), AES is better than DES (avoid using DES, though usually 3DES has replaced it).

The following is not really "secure" alone, but it will add another simplistic layer of security.

Configure device to not broadcast its SSID.
Change the SSID of your device from its factory default to something else.

Configure mac addresses so that only the devices you have connecting to it are allowed. Again, it isn't a major security feature, but it simplifies your connection allowance.

If you have a lot of wireless devices on the same frequency range (2.43ghz), keep in mind you may have to adjust the channels manually if you are getting interference. Worry about this though after you have secured your device and are still having problems.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:25 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,394,093 times
If you figure it out, post your fix. We have a user at my work with a similar issue at their house and they refuse to reset their router and set it up again.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:56 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,648,084 times
Run a program like inSSIDer and see the channel used by your neighbors and use one that is the least used.....

inSSIDer | MetaGeek

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or