U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 11:33 AM

5,805 posts, read 8,668,640 times

Advertisements

It's a DOCSIS 2.0...which is the pretty much the highest DOCSIS Cable Modem you can buy in Retail...DOCSIS 3 is pretty much only obtainable by renting from the Cable Company, and the point of this thread is 'We're Tired of the Rental Fees'

I can't tell a difference between the 2 and the 3 anyway, so I'm good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 11:52 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
It's a DOCSIS 2.0...which is the pretty much the highest DOCSIS Cable Modem you can buy in Retail...DOCSIS 3 is pretty much only obtainable by renting from the Cable Company, and the point of this thread is 'We're Tired of the Rental Fees'

I can't tell a difference between the 2 and the 3 anyway, so I'm good.
Ah.. Amazon said it's certified for DOCSIS 1.0, so I assumed that was most accurate.

You left out that you can get DOCSIS 3.0 modems at the store for a one time price. For example, the Amazon link I provided in my previous post was for the highly regarded 6120, which is DOCSIS 3.0. This modem has been available for purchase since April, 2009.

If the OP was going to purchase a new modem today, it's in their best interest to go with a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, and the 6120 is the one most recommend. In NJ, Comcast offers double the download speed, and up to double upload speed for DOCSIS 3.0 compliant hardware.

It might be different in your area, but only NJ matters for the purpose of this thread.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Ah.. Amazon said it's certified for DOCSIS 1.0, so I assumed that was most accurate..

Nope its DOCSIS 2.0 again no difference to me, DOCSIS 3.0 only comes into play anyway if one is subscribing to the higher speed package of the Cable Company, I believe Comcast markets theirs as "Power Boost" if you're on the standard 40$ or 19$ promotional package you're not going to see any difference.

Quote:
You left out that you can get DOCSIS 3.0 modems at the store for a one time price. For example, the Amazon link I provided in my previous post was for the highly regarded 6120, which is DOCSIS 3.0. This modem has been available for purchase since April, 2009.
I didnt leave out anything, care to share that link here because I dont see it...

An affordable DOCSIS 3.0 modem available in retail, please point me to that.

Quote:
If the OP was going to purchase a new modem today, it's in their best interest to go with a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, and the 6120 is the one most recommend. In NJ, Comcast offers double the download speed, and up to double upload speed for DOCSIS 3.0 compliant hardware.
again please show me an "Affordable" DOCSIS 3 supported as the OP has outline, available in retail.

Quote:
It might be different in your area, but only NJ matters for the purpose of this thread.
I'm very familiar with Comcast, even thought I use TWC....

Old 06-24-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Nope its DOCSIS 2.0 again no difference to me, DOCSIS 3.0 only comes into play anyway if one is subscribing to the higher speed package of the Cable Company, I believe Comcast markets theirs as "Power Boost" if you're on the standard 40$ or 19$ promotional package you're not going to see any difference.

I didnt leave out anything, care to share that link here because I dont see it...

An affordable DOCSIS 3.0 modem available in retail, please point me to that.

again please show me an "Affordable" DOCSIS 3 supported as the OP has outline, available in retail.

I'm very familiar with Comcast, even thought I use TWC....
That link is in the second post of this thread:

Amazon.com: Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband Cable Modem: Electronics

You said "It's a DOCSIS 2.0...which is the pretty much the highest DOCSIS Cable Modem you can buy in Retail...DOCSIS 3 is pretty much only obtainable by renting from the Cable Company, and the point of this thread is 'We're Tired of the Rental Fees'"

Had you read the second post in this thread, you would have realized that your post is inaccurate.

Affordable is in the eye of the beholder, but today's price of $75 is pretty damn good given that it's DOCSIS 3.0 and it's a surfboard. It will only take 4 more months at $7 vs the one you suggested... and will outlast yours.

With lower tiers, the benefit of having docsis 3.0 would be mostly be seen during streaming and downloading due to channel bonding. Comcast's network in NJ is very congested, so it's advisable to take advantage of channel bonding when you can.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That link is in the second post of this thread:

Amazon.com: Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband Cable Modem: Electronics

You said "It's a DOCSIS 2.0...which is the pretty much the highest DOCSIS Cable Modem you can buy in Retail...DOCSIS 3 is pretty much only obtainable by renting from the Cable Company, and the point of this thread is 'We're Tired of the Rental Fees'"

Had you read the second post in this thread, you would have realized that your post is inaccurate.

Affordable is in the eye of the beholder, but today's price of $75 is pretty damn good given that it's DOCSIS 3.0 and it's a surfboard. It will only take 4 more months at $7 vs the one you suggested... and will outlast yours.

With lower tiers, the benefit of having docsis 3.0 would be mostly be seen during streaming and downloading due to channel bonding. Comcast's network in NJ is very congested, so it's advisable to take advantage of channel bonding when you can.
Again 75$ cable modem for a jump in Docsis, which again isn't even enoticable over the standard 2.0, unless you're subscribing to upper tier broadband package..

we're talking a 25$ difference for something that negliable as Docsis 2.0 vs 3.0.....unless your a speed junkie. I say save the cash and get the 2.0 for basic internet needs 2.0 works fine.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Again 75$ cable modem for a jump in Docsis, which again isn't even enoticable over the standard 2.0, unless you're subscribing to upper tier broadband package..

we're talking a 25$ difference for something that negliable as Docsis 2.0 vs 3.0.....unless your a speed junkie. I say save the cash and get the 2.0 for basic internet needs 2.0 works fine.
This is where I disagree with you. In NJ, with the congestion, you have to be fairly ambitious to think a DOCSIS 2.0 modem can lock in enough bandwidth on a single channel to stream video during peak times. The channel bonding is clearly noticeable with streaming services such as hulu, youtube, netflix, etc. Further, $25 is a small amount of money in the scheme of things. And if you're going to buy a modem today, it's best to drop the extra $25 to futureproof yourself. You don't need higher tiers to benefit from the channel bonding.

You never addressed the fact that DOCSIS 3.0 modems have been available since 2009...

Old 06-25-2011, 10:18 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,262,012 times
Quote:

Yea, there is no reason to future proof any technology purchases, advancements happen so infrequently that today's technology will be fine in another 10 years.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Yea, there is no reason to future proof any technology purchases, advancements happen so infrequently that today's technology will be fine in another 10 years.
Oh please tech is always changing....you buy that 75 dollar Docsis 3 now and then Docsis 4 will be out in 6 months and Docsis 5 a year after that...

You're always going be behind....If Docsis 3 was only 50$ I'd say sure go for the 3, since 50$ is about the standard to spend on a Cable Modem.

75$ though no Docsis 3.0 is not worth that premium over the 2, again unless:

You're a speed junkie

You're subscribing to the Premium Speed Packages offered by the Cable Company.

By the time I notice a difference between Docsis 2 and 3, I will already be on the 3 because it would have come down significantly in price, and the Docsis 4 will be out with the 75-80$ price tag.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:47 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,262,012 times
Quote:
Oh please tech is always changing....you buy that 75 dollar Docsis 3 now and then Docsis 4 will be out in 6 months and Docsis 5 a year after that...

You're always going be behind....If Docsis 3 was only 50$ I'd say sure go for the 3, since 50$ is about the standard to spend on a Cable Modem.

75$ though no Docsis 3.0 is not worth that premium over the 2, again unless:

You're a speed junkie

You're subscribing to the Premium Speed Packages offered by the Cable Company.

By the time I notice a difference between Docsis 2 and 3, I will already be on the 3 because it would have come down significantly in price, and the Docsis 4 will be out with the 75-80$ price tag.
You win the pissing contest for what it is worth, cheapskate. If your day has been highlighted by this, I'm happy for you, you need some sunshine colored fluids in your day................ good day

Old 06-29-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You win the pissing contest for what it is worth, cheapskate. If your day has been highlighted by this, I'm happy for you, you need some sunshine colored fluids in your day................ good day
Wow, the need to resort to name calling, how classy...First the OP asked for an "Affordable" option, and I was merly pointing out an "Affordable" option....

Now maybe 75$ is affordable to the 'OP" but it's pretty much the upper echelon price for Standard Cable Modems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or