Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:53 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times

Advertisements

I would only do this if there is no other possible option. Like the cassettes are unique and the audio is not available anywhere else. If it is music, it's certainly not worth it and you might as well buy the CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 12:58 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I bought something similar to this for my father in law. He needed something super easy cuz he's clueless.

Plusdeck 2C PC Cassette Deck - Tape to MP3 Sound Converter#

The one I bought him though actually had a turntable on it that does records, as well.
Worth the cost if you have a lot to do.

Ease of use aside for the average person if you already have the equipment this really isn't worth it. For the audiophile a device like this would be desirable because you get direct conversion to digital without having to worry about corruption of the signal as it travels over analog wires. It wouldn't surprise me if most modern turntables and decks have this feature when you get into the really expensive equipment.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I would only do this if there is no other possible option. Like the cassettes are unique and the audio is not available anywhere else. If it is music, it's certainly not worth it and you might as well buy the CD.
For the tape I'd have to agree unless maybe you have brand new ones never played. When you get into vinyl its a whole other animal and many of the "remastered" digital conversions are very poor reproductions. Even a lot of original CD's that have been re-released or even modern CD's are poorly done, they have the amplification turned up so much you lose all the nuances.

YouTube - ‪Why I Don't Buy "Remastered" CDs.‬‏

Here's great example from modern recording, the CD is flat and has no life compared to other version:

YouTube - ‪Metallica Death Magnetic - How to lose the Loudness War‬‏

Old 06-17-2011, 01:23 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
For the tape I'd have to agree unless maybe you have brand new ones never played. When you get into vinyl its a whole other animal and many of the "remastered" digital conversions are very poor reproductions. Even a lot of original CD's that have been re-released or even modern CD's are poorly done, they have the amplification turned up so much you lose all the nuances.
Yea... but the OP doesn't indicate whether the original source was vinyl or not.... The OP just talks about cassettes.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:20 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I am not specifically recommending that one. Just citing an example. There's a ton of them out there.
I figured that. My comment was more the OP than to knock your recommendation. I've seen enough of your posts to know you'd not intentionally steer someone wrong.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:50 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Thanks Tek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I agree. Generally speaking it is a pain in the butt and very time consuming to do this. If the software you use doesn't put breaks between tracks then you have one huge file and you have to seperate, and name them, manually. Obviously you should get software that will break up the tracks.

But there is still the tedious process of going through and renaming every track. For a tape ot rwo, ok. But for an entire collection. Not for me, thanks.

That's about the only time I ever used any of those file sharing sites. To download tracks I own on cassette. RIAA can't bust me for finding digital copies of tracks I own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet