U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 10:29 PM
sun sun started this thread

683 posts, read 1,933,384 times

Advertisements

There's a special promotion that's being offered for DSL internet service due to the merger of SBC and Bellsouth. The terms are that if you have AT&T/SBC/Bellsouth phone service, and haven't had their DSL internet service during the last 12 months, you can receive basic DSL service for 1 year for $10 per month, along with a $50 rebate too (for the modem kit).
It was mentioned on another website that this promotion is the result of a lawsuit settlement, and lots of dial up users are trying it out.
To see if it's available in your area, visit DSL Internet, Phone, Wireless and Satellite TV Services | AT&T and look for the "internet promotion" at the bottom of the page. The website would only reveal the promotional price when I wasn't logged in to an SBC account.
I ordered it and selected the 3-5 day regular ground shipping for $10 less than the faster shipping method. It came in 3 business days and I installed it on the 4th day. It's a much faster connection than dial up, and the billing is added directly to my SBC phone bill. Plus more computers within a household can use it simultaneously.
After a year it will cost $15 per month in my state, and it currently costs $19 per month in most Bellsouth states. So it's a good deal for those who qualify where service is available.
The offer will reportedly be available for the next 30 months, so there's plenty of time to consider it.

To test the performance of the system, I visited Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test and obtained these results. It's a tremendous improvement!

Using Walmart Connect Dial-up (AOL):

Using SBC basic DSL:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet