U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 06:13 PM

31 posts, read 28,173 times

Advertisements

A woman I meet through a website a long time ago and I developed a friendship and eventually ended our friendship. We had a few fights (online) and recently (after like 5 years) she sent an anonymous email to my employer saying I post on a board on company's time. She also threaten with send the info to the government (we are contractors)

I am very scared, not for my job but my safety. Is this something that would be consider harassment? Or Stalking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 07:02 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,885,998 times
After reading your post I'm not clear. Are they telling you they're sending the information to your boss? Are you posting on company time? You work for the government as contract workers? I'm also not clear on the link between this person telling on you for posting on company time and your safety. Maybe you should tell us more.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
After reading your post I'm not clear. Are they telling you they're sending the information to your boss? Are you posting on company time? You work for the government as contract workers? I'm also not clear on the link between this person telling on you for posting on company time and your safety. Maybe you should tell us more.
yes she send this to my boss.

I did post on company time.

i do work as a contractor for the gvmt.

I am just afraid this person is so fixated on me

Old 06-20-2011, 07:35 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,897 posts, read 33,631,471 times
I know of another message board where something like this happened. It was probably in another state from yours and it was about 10 years ago, so the laws may have changed, but anonymously contacting the employer wasn't illegal in that case.

You might want to talk to a lawyer to see if there's anything worth getting a court order over. If you've been threatened with bodily harm, skip the lawyer and go to the police.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:49 PM

Thanks Bo. Yes, Contacting my employer was not illegal. The email said she is in a watchdog group. I offered my resignation which was not accepted. I knowledge I posted on company time and my boss told me if we got a complaint from the gvmt. he will respond that I acknowledge it, obviously not to do it again and that counseling was provided.

This woman said a long time ago that I was a [bad word here], that she was going to destroy my career. I guess she is trying to get me fire. It is a personal vendetta

Old 06-20-2011, 08:04 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,262,012 times
At some point communicating threats via the internet might come into play.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
At some point communicating threats via the internet might come into play.
I never threatened this person. I posted my opinions on a boards.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:09 AM

42,663 posts, read 75,366,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bijououx View Post
. I offered my resignation which was not accepted. I knowledge I posted on company time and my boss told me if we got a complaint from the gvmt. he will respond that I acknowledge it, obviously not to do it again and that counseling was provided.
Sounds like you have already defused it. You've talked to your boss about it, which is what I would have advised you to do, and there was probably no need to offer to resign.

It would have been sufficient to just inform your boss that you are being threatened by a disgruntled person you once had a relationship with, who is now out to cause you harm. These kinds of threats occur very often when romances conclude, and even when they are carried out, are often seen for what they are.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:27 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,262,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bijououx View Post
I never threatened this person. I posted my opinions on a boards.
It sure sounds like she is threatening you, that was my point. I'm going to get you fire, etc.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:44 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,706,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Sounds like you have already defused it. You've talked to your boss about it, which is what I would have advised you to do, and there was probably no need to offer to resign.

It would have been sufficient to just inform your boss that you are being threatened by a disgruntled person you once had a relationship with, who is now out to cause you harm. These kinds of threats occur very often when romances conclude, and even when they are carried out, are often seen for what they are.
He said in the original post that his main concern wasn't his job, but his safety, he's looking for info regarding keeping this crazy person from destroying any other part of his life, be it financial or physical or otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet