U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 08:43 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,706,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I had a chance to sample Google plus and is not on the same level of as Facebook.
In what way? Obviously volume isn't there yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 08:45 PM
FBJ

39,614 posts, read 51,099,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
In what way? Obviously volume isn't there yet.

The look of the site is not appealing

Old 08-14-2011, 08:47 AM

13,383 posts, read 41,216,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The look of the site is not appealing
To me the Google + site is far more appealing (and easier to use), but I know that it is only a matter of time until we see advertising there.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:07 AM

34,296 posts, read 59,614,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
To me the Google + site is far more appealing (and easier to use), but I know that it is only a matter of time until we see advertising there.
I haven't even ventured in other than joining. GOOG's heavy hand in all interaction has made it less appealing.
I am in about 70 circles without even trying.
Every one of those circles is from a business person; most of whom are people I have never met; many of them people I have never heard of before.
There are tons of people openly advising others how to maximize their business activity on +.

So despite GOOG's meager attempt at discouraging commercial activity, without doubt there is major commercial activity building from members.
Advertising will follow when GOOG decides they can garner great revenue and data from a large membership that joined a service with a clean interface.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I haven't even ventured in other than joining. GOOG's heavy hand in all interaction has made it less appealing.
Every one of those circles is from a business person; most of whom are people I have never met; many of them people I have never heard of before.
There are tons of people openly advising others how to maximize their business activity on +.
Wow, that has not happened to me at all. The only circles I'm in are the ones I want. I have blocked one person, but that's it.

I guess I'm kind of a nobody.

About the heavy-handedness: It really irks me to see how Facebook has permeated everything, free music offered if you 'like' a page, the ubiquitous F throughout the internet.
I admit I favor Google+ over that sort of thing, but of course I understand that Google is just as pervasive. Still, I've been using Google for years and years, and Gmail since 2004, and so far nothing bad has happened to me.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:19 PM

866 posts, read 1,586,118 times
Quote:
Anybody could add anybody else to THEIR circles...doesn't mean you will automatically see their posting in your stream unless you add them to your circles.

IF you do want to see what the people who added YOU to their circle are posting, you can do so in the "incoming" ...but that won't show up in your "Home" stream by default.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Wow, that has not happened to me at all. The only circles I'm in are the ones I want. I have blocked one person, but that's it.

I guess I'm kind of a nobody.

About the heavy-handedness: It really irks me to see how Facebook has permeated everything, free music offered if you 'like' a page, the ubiquitous F throughout the internet.
I admit I favor Google+ over that sort of thing, but of course I understand that Google is just as pervasive. Still, I've been using Google for years and years, and Gmail since 2004, and so far nothing bad has happened to me.
The advantage GOOG+ will have, or at least should have, is that their software should be capable of handling huge numbers of members better than Facebook does.
Get a real estate license, and you will be flooded by SEO experts, lenders, and others who hope to make a buck off you, all wanting to be "Friends."

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
Anybody could add anybody else to THEIR circles...doesn't mean you will automatically see their posting in your stream unless you add them to your circles.

IF you do want to see what the people who added YOU to their circle are posting, you can do so in the "incoming" ...but that won't show up in your "Home" stream by default.
Like I said, get a real estate license, and you will be flooded by SEO experts, lenders, and others who hope to make a buck off you, all wanting to be "Friends."

I can only imagine that people who do not know me from Adam just add me to circles for future spamming efforts.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:34 PM

866 posts, read 1,586,118 times
Quote:

I can only imagine that people who do not know me from Adam just add me to circles for future spamming efforts.
I am not getting your point.

Somehow they have your email address and they added you to THEIR circles. They don't automatically get added to YOUR circles.

They could post every second of every day, you won't see their postings unless YOU have them in YOUR circles. If you don't have them in your circles.. you don't see it, they might be trying to spam...but you have them "filtered" out.

And they won't see YOUR postings unless it's a "public" post.

I have random people add me to their circles...I don't see their postings in my stream because I haven't added them to MY circles.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I am not getting your point.

Somehow they have your email address and they added you to THEIR circles. They don't automatically get added to YOUR circles.

They could post every second of every day, you won't see their postings unless YOU have them in YOUR circles. If you don't have them in your circles.. you don't see it, they might be trying to spam...but you have them "filtered" out.

I have random people add me to their circles...I don't see their postings in my stream because I haven't added them to MY circles.
Well, now...
You have encouraged me to look again.
Cuz, it just HAS to be more competent than Facebook.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:

This is my understanding as well. I am following one person because I find his posts interesting--I see his posts but he does not see mine.

And the thing is, you can make all those circles (the ones you actually want) disappear from your profile if you want to. Nothing has to be visible if you don't want it so. Or you can simply block them.

Edited to add: One of the reasons I like the circles is their versatility. I have a relative in one circle, because I like to keep that particular relative on a "need to know" basis.

The gearbox on the upper left is for notifications and can be adjusted to your liking, and the window page for the circles is self-explanatory "Remove, Clear Selection, View Profile, More Actions."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet