U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 04:33 PM

206 posts, read 704,120 times

Advertisements

so i am living in a basement apartment with rent that includes utilities. my upstairs neighbors gave me their wireless internet network password and i have access to excellent wi-fi. however, i am concerned about if the shared network compromises my privacy on the internet. will my landlords upstairs be able to detect, track and monitor my activity on the internet? if so, what steps can i take to protect my privacy in this case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 08:39 AM

4,584 posts, read 8,194,016 times
Technically/Theoretically speaking - yes, they CAN pretty much see everything you're doing. And since you are using their network, there's not much you can do to prevent that.

Realistically speaking - Unless your landlord seems really seedy and geeky, the risk is minimal (it be riskier to use a public hotspot). In fact, by letting you on their network, they're potentially in the same boat since you can also (with the right skills and tools) snoop on their traffic or even worse, conduct illegal activity using their network.

I think as long as you feel comfortable with your landlord. You should be fine.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:04 AM

5,370 posts, read 11,277,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
In addition, make sure your side is set to *no sharing* at all for all your drives.
If you are not into doing anything illegal, who cares, but you sure do not want anything private/sensitive,
like your financial stuff, on your drives to be *public* ...
Since he gave you *his* password, you know the connection is only available to people who are *in the know*.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:06 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
So the landlord can see which sites you visit.

If technically savvy, they could see the actual content of the sites you visit.

The exception is sites that are secure (https), where they can only see the URL, but none of the contents.

Want to really hide what you're doing from them? User the TOR browser. It'll encrypt everything that goes across the network. But it's really slow to the point where you'll probably get fed up with it eventually.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:10 PM

13,072 posts, read 11,575,083 times
If you are sharing the same segment with your landlord, packet sniffing your internet traffic should be the least of your concern.

Point is, if they are knowledgeable enough to do that, they likely have the knowledge to access your machine quite easily over the LAN which would make many data security practices pointless.

So, you are taking a risk regardless.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:49 PM

206 posts, read 704,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Technically/Theoretically speaking - yes, they CAN pretty much see everything you're doing. And since you are using their network, there's not much you can do to prevent that.

Realistically speaking - Unless your landlord seems really seedy and geeky, the risk is minimal (it be riskier to use a public hotspot). In fact, by letting you on their network, they're potentially in the same boat since you can also (with the right skills and tools) snoop on their traffic or even worse, conduct illegal activity using their network.

yes my landlord is actually VERY techy; i think he works in IT. i am very comfy with my landlords they are very sweet awesome people. i of course will not be up to any shady activity but it is still a little unnerving to know i have given up my internet pirvacy. what the ways in which they can see what i am doing? how would they do this?

Old 07-20-2011, 03:37 PM

13,072 posts, read 11,575,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariagostrey View Post
yes my landlord is actually VERY techy; i think he works in IT. i am very comfy with my landlords they are very sweet awesome people. i of course will not be up to any shady activity but it is still a little unnerving to know i have given up my internet pirvacy. what the ways in which they can see what i am doing? how would they do this?
Various ways...

You can use products like Omnipeek, Wireshark, etc.. to sniff packet traffic which is a passive attack you will not be aware of. Also, most RGs have the ability to support SNMP which is a full featured network management protocol that has numerous features for collecting all kinds of information from the device and reporting it to another location.

There are all kinds of tools that can be used to collect all types of traffic being broadcast, multicast, and uni-cast across the network. Then there are utilities that test for vulnerabilities in applications and protocols from your machine to which depending on that information can be used to gain access to your machine.

Not only that, but the landlord is put in the position of being a true "man in the middle" attack, which would allow them to redirect your information to destinations of their choice. A common tactic of such is to setup a filter to redirect someone as they go to a site, and then direct them to a clone site completely under the control of the attacker. You go to log in, and they take that information, and then direct you back to the actual site passing on that password information and logging you in while they now have your username and password or various other personal information. Unless you are really paying attention , such attacks often will appear seamless in their function.

Now there are many tools to avoid such, but that is under the position that your attacker isn't also acting as your ISP, though if you were paranoid you could pick up another router and place yourself in another segment and then manage the flow of your information to his router with a lot more control using various features.

If you trust them, then it really isn't an issue. It would be a poor position to attack someone from that scenario though as the moment you found out you were compromised, it would make them the prime suspect.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:28 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,262,012 times
They can also browse the files on your computer. You need a "good" password on "all" accounts on your computer, and by "good" I mean a password that is gibberish and cannot be found in a dictionary.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:32 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Quote:
i am very comfy with my landlords they are very sweet awesome people.

Really? In that case I think I would NOT WORRY ABOUT IT.
Speaking as a landlord I am sure he doesn't want to LOSE you so snooping on you is probably that very last thought in his head.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:20 PM

4,584 posts, read 8,194,016 times
Quote:
Realistically speaking - you've also given up physical privacy as well since you live under their roof. Not to make you paranoid, but they also potentially have physical access to your computer (which pretty much throws any security measures out the window).

In terms of the methods and ways - there are numerous. But the bottom line is that their network is between your computer and the internet. And since they own/control the network, they can monitor, intercept, redirect, modify the traffic going across it. But again, there's very little gain in doing this in a malicious fashion on one's own network. For the most part, you're at more risk when using a public wifi.

If it was me, I wouldn't give it another though.... until they start making references to emails you've sent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet