U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 02:57 PM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times

Advertisements

"On Thursday, the US House of Representatives approved an internet snooping bill that requires internet service providers (ISPs) to keep records of customer activity for a year so police can review them as needed"

What You Need to Know About the Internet Snooping Bill (and How You Can Protect Yourself)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 03:04 PM

40,182 posts, read 41,790,512 times
I would imagine most are already up to at least 6 months. I'd have less concern about the government than what the ISP is already using that data for.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:07 PM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I would imagine most are already up to at least 6 months. I'd have less concern about the government than what the ISP is already using that data for.
I think that data would make a tasty target for hackers as well, just think of all those addresses and credit card numbers.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I think that data would make a tasty target for hackers as well, just think of all those addresses and credit card numbers.
Never set up a ocommerce site or had to deal with CC numbers in my other business's but there are specific regualtions for the CC numbers they have to adhere too. The rest of your personal information is something they would keep forever and share with other companies. There is probably multiple data files floating around about yourself. These companies share a lot of information. I get junk mail like credit card offers for a company I owned that hasn't operated for 6 years at two separate addresses never associated with it. They come to my new house house address and another address for a house that's been vacant for more than a decade. The only association with the vacant house was I had a phone there, never lived there unless you want to count the first five years I was alive.

As far as your online activity all the ISP's will be doing this already and most certainly analyzing it and using it for themselves. The only thing this legislation might do in regard to that is extend the time they keep it.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:45 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,262,012 times
The stupidity of bill is what is so damn staggering, but we are talking about Washington here.

My ISP doesn't even have my CC info, they bill me and I pay with billpay through my CU, and if they ever did, it was years ago and I no longer have that card.

Wonder when ISPs will figure out they should charge us to collect and store this information for the government. So when you see a new charge called "BB data" of a buck or two a month, you will know it is for "Big Brother data collection and storage"

Old 07-30-2011, 02:24 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,593,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The stupidity of bill is what is so damn staggering, but we are talking about Washington here.
One the best comments I've read lately...

Old 07-30-2011, 06:34 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Quote:

My ISP doesn't even have my CC info, they bill me and I pay with billpay through my CU, and if they ever did, it was years ago and I no longer have that card.
I didn't read the actual bill, but I'd bet that the ISP would be required to hold onto your CU routing information... which could be just as troubling if not more.

Also, keep in mind that this is a bill.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:20 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,648,084 times
Just came across this article:

Researchers Expose Cunning Online Tracking Service That Can’t Be Dodged

Quote:
Researchers at U.C. Berkeley have discovered that some of the net’s most popular sites are using a tracking service that can’t be evaded — even when users block cookies, turn off storage in Flash, or use browsers’ “incognito” functions.
Researchers Expose Cunning Online Tracking Service That Can’t Be Dodged | Epicenter*| Wired.com

Old 07-31-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Wonder when ISPs will figure out they should charge us to collect and store this information for the government. So when you see a new charge called "BB data" of a buck or two a month, you will know it is for "Big Brother data collection and storage"
Great point, they could charge you and blame the government for something they are already doing anyway.

Quote:
Also, keep in mind that this is a bill.
Hope this doesn't turn into one of those "unintended consequences" deals or a step in the direction of requiring content providers to keep these records. It would be a huge amount of data for small sites/shared hosting to have to keep.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:58 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,706,159 times
"Researchers at U.C. Berkeley have discovered that some of the net’s most popular sites are using a tracking service that can’t be evaded — even when users block cookies, turn off storage in Flash, or use browsers’ “incognito” functions."

Lol, what? All of those things are localized solutions to keep people who use your computer from viewing what you did. It has literally no effect on any site's data collection methods. That's got to be the dumbest research group/columnist ever hahahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet