Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 05:05 AM

117 posts, read 148,241 times

Advertisements

Many of you probably know that all US TV stations will convert to digital broadcasting (DTV) in February 2009. Standard "analog" broadcasts will not be available in 2009. This means that non-digital TVs will not be able to receive "antenna" TV without a digital-to-analog converter box.

However, Cox Cable customers can use their analog TVs (without converter) for a while longer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cox Cable Customer Support, re: DTV February 17, 2009

Cox recognizes that some customers will still have analog-only TVs at this cut-off date. Therefore, Cox will continue to offer analog broadcast signals for at least three years after this deadline for those customers that have not upgraded all TVs to Cox Digital Cable. The signal will be down-converted from its digital format, enabling customers to receive digital broadcast programming in an analog format.

Cox Customer Support | Cable/Digital Cable
This is especially important to me since I may spend a year or two outside the USA sometime in the next few years. Cox's "analog until 2012" policy will allow me to hook up an under-$100 Slingbox (analog) tuner directly to a local cable modem (and PC router) to stream local TV on an internet broadband-enabled notebook PC located overseas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 07:20 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,944,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeXSvegas View Post
Cox's "analog until 2012" policy will allow me to hook up an under-$100 Slingbox (analog) tuner directly to a local cable modem (and PC router) to stream local TV on an internet broadband-enabled notebook PC located overseas.
But if Cox follows industry trends and joins the ranks of broadband providers charging for bandwidth, you may find it prohibitively expensive to push that much data through your connection.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:20 AM

623 posts, read 1,811,103 times
The only problem I have experienced with the slingbox is, depending on the country, I get a lag and the reception gets choppy

Old 09-23-2008, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 9,889 times
I have a question for you guys... on the issue of COX cable (basic) and the Digital (non-HD) TV they provide..
Since we are all going Digital TV in 2009 this makes the TV Channels from like (REF; CH 39, 39-1, 39-2, 39-3) all over-the-air LOCAL broadcast and I thought that the FCC has made a rule that ALL LOCAL tv stations are to be covered free and in Basic Cable...
WELL I don't see the 39-1 or -2 or -3 etc.. for these new digital TV broadcast with Basic Cable on an Standard "analog" TV set... but yet we gets so many non-local Mexican TV Channels...
NOW also they don't seem to even cover these Channels with the non-HD Digital cable box .... ONLY if one PAYS EXTRA FOR THE CABLE HD box for ones tv and then one needs an HD TV for this box to work.. so what gives?
I thought the FCC said they have to cover all local TV stations yet they seem to be getting away without doing so... any ideas?

Old 10-19-2008, 06:57 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,343,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_nectar View Post
I have a question for you guys... on the issue of COX cable (basic) and the Digital (non-HD) TV they provide..
Since we are all going Digital TV in 2009 this makes the TV Channels from like (REF; CH 39, 39-1, 39-2, 39-3) all over-the-air LOCAL broadcast and I thought that the FCC has made a rule that ALL LOCAL tv stations are to be covered free and in Basic Cable...
WELL I don't see the 39-1 or -2 or -3 etc.. for these new digital TV broadcast with Basic Cable on an Standard "analog" TV set... but yet we gets so many non-local Mexican TV Channels...
NOW also they don't seem to even cover these Channels with the non-HD Digital cable box .... ONLY if one PAYS EXTRA FOR THE CABLE HD box for ones tv and then one needs an HD TV for this box to work.. so what gives?
I thought the FCC said they have to cover all local TV stations yet they seem to be getting away without doing so... any ideas?
Only antenna transmitted broadcasts have to be digital. Not cable or satellite. However, a cable company is supposed to carry standard local networks in unencrypted clear QAM digital. However, I don't know if they have to provide equipment to you to be able to see it. Most new TV's have to ability to tune clear QAM without equipment from the cable company.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:47 AM

359 posts, read 1,194,675 times
Wow, first time I have heard of this. I thought Cox was suppose to end analog around the same time the analog broadcasts end in 2009.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,944,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetucson View Post
Wow, first time I have heard of this. I thought Cox was suppose to end analog around the same time the analog broadcasts end in 2009.
Federal law requires all but the very smallest cable systems to support analog until at least 2011. The TV manufacturers and retailers want us to think we need to upgrade now.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:28 PM

11,008 posts, read 17,380,502 times
I've got Dish Network. I'll let them take care of all that! lol

Old 10-26-2008, 12:21 PM

359 posts, read 1,194,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I've got Dish Network. I'll let them take care of all that! lol
Got DIRECTV! and LOVE IT!

Old 11-12-2008, 01:50 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,657,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
The TV manufacturers and retailers want us to think we need to upgrade now.
That's kinda jacked seeing that most of the digital tv's are garbage. Constantly blur, horrible response times, ect. Sticking with boob tube until they fix the problems. Wonder how the government will fix the current budget problem, economy ect. "oh don't worry just look at this pretty picture." OOOO pretty its a flower that looks so real... *drool*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet