U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 02:08 PM

8 posts, read 10,431 times

Advertisements

I want to try it but don't know anything about setting it up. I have an internet-ready TV and a wireless router on my computer. How do you find someone that can set it up for you? Do you have to stay with Comcast internet or will one of the other internet services work as well? I'm scared of just calling someone off of Craigs' List. Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 08:05 PM

8,565 posts, read 9,804,039 times
My configuration to use the internet for TV and no cable TV is with a Roku, a DLNA compliant device. Roku comes in three products, XD, XS, and X/DS, you can compare at their website. Roku will off some news channels (CNN International Al Jazeera, RT - russion. France - in english), Netflix, Hulu, and other programming (mostly useless to me). Most of the offerings on Roku will require additional subscriptions to view (Netflix, Hulu, etc). There is no subscription to Roku, your purchase satisfies that. The Roku plugs from your Internet modem (or router) by CAT5 and to your TV by HDMI or WiFi. If you have an XBox360, Playstation3 or other DLNA compliant device then you will NOT need a Roku.

I then discovered PlayOn, which is an application for computer that will interface with your DNLA device, to view on your TV. Those devices with which PlayOn will work are listed at the PlayOn link. PlayOn does have an annual subscription fee of $20 and a one time setup of $20. PlayOn provides a WIDE variety of scripts which you add to a 'Script' folder within the PlayOn application on your computer. These scripts range from news to usual TV programming to movies to YouTube to your own media on your PC. Bear in mind, this is not as easy as flipping the channel on your cable remote. It does take practice and effort to learn and to maintain. Most PlayOn scripts are free for the taking but some require a 'Gold' subscription, a one time $10. PlayOn also offers a DVR application where you can download programming for viewing later. But even without, I can view most any TV program at my leisure.

On your TV you will use your device remote to start your device (Roku). From that device interface you can choose programming or access the PlayON scripts for that programming.

Review the links, think about it, ask more questions. It's a large and confusing world out there and a load of information to filter. It can take a while to get to a satisfaction point and a couple of times I've almost ditched the setup and gone back to cable/dish. It takes a different attitude and a willingness to persevere. But I read in forums of people who proudly proclaim being cable free for 'some' number of months.

You will need a computer that runs at least about 2Ghz. Your internet pipe needs to be at least 3megs down. My PC is 1.66 Ghz dual core and interent is 10meg down. I'm able to watch the PlayOn script on TV and YouTube on PC at the same time.

The only drawback I recognize is some programming does not display as the HighDef to which we might have become accustomed.

Last edited by Willsson; 08-30-2011 at 08:22 PM..

Old 08-30-2011, 08:20 PM

26,345 posts, read 83,906,601 times
Why do you need or want TV if you have the internet?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Why do you need or want TV if you have the internet?
My TV is 40" flat panel. My PC monitor is 21". And I can multi-task.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:55 PM

26,345 posts, read 83,906,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
My TV is 40" flat panel. My PC monitor is 21". And I can multi-task.
TV is 1940s technology and is IQ lowering for the most part.
TV has laugh tracks.
TV is "push"; Internet is "pull"
Commercials

Old 08-30-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
TV is 1940s technology and is IQ lowering for the most part.
TV has laugh tracks.
TV is "push"; Internet is "pull"
Commercials
That's more your problem and has very little to do with the OP's inquiry.

Last edited by Willsson; 08-30-2011 at 09:27 PM..

Old 08-30-2011, 09:12 PM

42,677 posts, read 45,079,333 times
I think this is pretty awesome it's like having a smartboard on your tv just like college. They probably have them already but I know soon everything will be touch screen. It will change the way with toddlers, "Stop touching the TV!" Lol

Old 08-31-2011, 07:48 AM

31,141 posts, read 50,298,797 times
We watch Hulu and Netflix.

No cable, no 'TV'.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:00 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We watch Hulu and Netflix.

No cable, no 'TV'.
How is the quality of Hulu? When I tied it a while ago, it was crap.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:32 AM

13,314 posts, read 20,365,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How is the quality of Hulu? When I tied it a while ago, it was crap.
I thought the quality was fine. It was the quantity (availability of movies or shows that I wanted to watch) that was crap. Now they want people to pay for the lack of content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or