Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 05:48 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times

Advertisements

I use Mozilla Thunderbird for emails with my computer. A friend has a laptop and has Google gmail, which he hates! It keeps asking him for a password, then won't accept it. He has tech support, but it usually means two hours on the telephone! This has happened several times already.

How do I install Mozilla Thunderbird on his laptop? I assume I go to the website and download it? (I didn't originally download it on my computer; my brother did it, so I am unfamiliar with the procedure.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 07:02 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,343 times
Mozilla Thunderbird

If he's using gmail...and it's saying that he's got the wrong password, it's going to tell him that in thunderbird also... this is 100% user error. You sure he doesn't have the caps lock key on?

Old 09-05-2011, 07:39 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Mozilla Thunderbird

If he's using gmail...and it's saying that he's got the wrong password, it's going to tell him that in thunderbird also... this is 100% user error. You sure he doesn't have the caps lock key on?
Thanks for the link.

It's possible he has caps lock on... he does not know much about computers or the internet. I may stop by his place on Friday if the weather isn't too hot.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:51 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
If he has entered the wrong password multiple times, gmail will automatically set his account to where it appears he is entering the wrong password and will require he enter the correct password along with a captcha phrase. This is a security measure to help prevent gmail accounts from being hacked like yahoo and hotmail are all the time.

This happened to one of my friends accounts about 6 months ago and it required the captcha every time they tried to log in for about a month. As long as he enters the correct password within the set limit of tries (I think it is 5 tries) for about a month it should go back to normal. If not, he needs to contact gmail support.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:39 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
I didn't want to open a new thread, but I noticed one odd thing about Thunderbird:

It seems there is a bug when you have more than one imap account. Ever since I added a second account, the notification feature ceased to work reliably, sometimes I got a notification, sometimes I did not. Since I am a freelancer receiving all my work per email, that is a problem as I need to know immediately when I get new mails.
At first I did not think much about it, I thought it had to do with another email program that I had installed, i.e. that they kind of messed with each other's notification feature in the trail. But even after I uninstalled the other client, the problem did not go away.
Now I deleted the second imap account that I had configured a few weeks ago, restarted, and got a weird notification saying I had 12 new messages (there was only one, though). So I opened all mails in the inbox, restarted, still the same message. So I deleted all mails in all folders, now everything seems to work again, including both audio and symbol notification
But I can't use my second account anymore, luckily that is not big problem. But some people need to use more than one account...

Old 03-17-2013, 07:13 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,772,311 times
When Thunderbird works, great mail client. When you encounter bugs like this, it can be a big pain, for me anyway. Sadly, I thought Thunderbird is becoming deprecated but according to this, Mozilla still plans to support it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet