U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2011, 06:57 PM

8,425 posts, read 9,992,989 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that as time goes youtube gets more bloated, and runs slower and slower and I'm therefore visiting it less. I'll click on video links that used to load and play nearly instantly. I'm on a 20mb/sec connection, and all other sites run fast, so I know it's not the connection. Computer is up to date also, runs vimeo.com and other video sites, even in HD, fine. But now I click on youtube videos, even crappy 360p ones, and it plays faster than it can load, hangs, etc. I notice that at the bottom of my browser it will show all kinds of web addresses trying to load when it bogs down. Ie, it will say "waiting on" or "transferring from" all kinds of sites, such "google-analytics", or "sjc1.v11.lscache1.c.youtube.com". Is it just me or are others noticing this as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 12:46 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,706,159 times
I've noticed that some videos aren't loading as quickly as they used to. It doesn't have anything to do with "bloat" on the site itself (which it doesn't have much of, Youtube in general is a pretty light website). It's all back-end. Sometimes 360p won't load worth anything, but if I turn it to 720p, it loads blazingly fast. I think it's an infrastructure thing, they might be growing in popularity faster than their server farm growth.

I'm also on a 20mb/s connection, so I prefer 1080p when available. Sometimes it just won't load, and I have to go down to 720 or 480p.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:59 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,032 times
I've seen that from time to time -- transferring... waiting for this or that...

It's kind of annoying.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:22 AM

219 posts, read 416,859 times
Lately, it's been taking forever on videos!

It looks like YouTube may be throttling us!

YouTube's servers may be throttling pretty much all non-California people now!

Old 09-24-2011, 07:20 AM

13,383 posts, read 41,216,198 times
I have not noticed slowness, but what makes me close the window without hesitation is when I click on a youtube link and get advertising.

I realize that you get what you pay for, but I'd rather do without the video than sit there and watch a commercial. I've got TV for that.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:40 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,262,012 times
Haven't notice any slow down. Streamed a bunch of 720P videos of a British Comedy series to my TV yesterday without a single pause.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:30 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,706,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
Lately, it's been taking forever on videos!

It looks like YouTube may be throttling us!

YouTube's servers may be throttling pretty much all non-California people now!
Huge, unsubstantiated and unnecessary claim. No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I have not noticed slowness, but what makes me close the window without hesitation is when I click on a youtube link and get advertising.

I realize that you get what you pay for, but I'd rather do without the video than sit there and watch a commercial. I've got TV for that.
You can skip them after 5 seconds. Also, youtube doesn't add those, the uploader does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Haven't notice any slow down. Streamed a bunch of 720P videos of a British Comedy series to my TV yesterday without a single pause.
It happens with popular videos in popular formats. If I watch a trending video at the default resolution, it might take some extra time to load. If I swap it to a higher resolution (480 or 720, or even 1080), most of the time it loads right up. It's bandwidth. Bottlenecks happen.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:08 PM

8 posts, read 10,735 times
As Kazyn said it might be happening in some popular videos..... but till now i have not come across any such problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet