Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Facebook is over-rated.
So is all "social media".
Which seems to be making people less social.

Anti-social media.

Being with people in real life is relating and having friendships.

Online is just talking. Like I am doing here. Who knows who will read it.
FWIW, this message board (and any message board, for that matter) is social media, too. It's just anonymous social media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 03:39 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,032,885 times
I accidently deleted people without knowing I did it by trying to clean up obnoxious comments.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:06 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
FWIW, this message board (and any message board, for that matter) is social media, too. It's just anonymous social media.

Yes, I agree, but we aren't all pretending to be friends. We are communicating with each other, but there isn't real life interaction. I think this board is more about exchange of information and viewpoints, vs Facebook...

Old 09-21-2011, 10:08 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
I agree with what you said, especially about being with people in real life.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

I think I'm probably going to delete my FB account very soon.

Me too. I am only really involved with an animal group on FB.

I like the banter on here, because it is an exchange of views on things, a discussion.

I find it interesting when others share the same thoughts as me and I am not alone in my thinking.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:28 PM

54 posts, read 143,045 times
You never actually delete your account, it's just deactivated. I can't even count the number of times I've deactivated my account, you can sign in and it will pick up right where you left off. And I don't warn anybody either, but it would be kinda strange if they really cared. I've had several friends deactivate as well, for many reasons, sometimes if they knew they would be very busy with school or something, and they didn't want to be distracted.

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:37 AM

80 posts, read 146,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven Costanza View Post
You never actually delete your account, it's just deactivated
This is actually a myth; it used to be like you say in the very early days (pre 2007). Deactivation is not the same as deletion. Now you can fully delete your account at the click of a button. Just log in to your account, and visit this link with your browser:

After this you must wait 14 days and not care for the account, be careful NOT to login anywhere, if you have logins stored on your phone etc delete them beforehand

They may store data indefinitely on backup servers, what do I know, but at least the accounts are APPARENTLY deleted by this action.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:18 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,042 times
I have deleted people that I was previously friends with. One guy was recently deleted because he constantly promoted his business twice a week, and I got tired of hearing about it. He was also inviting me to his company webpage over and over. We weren't really that close anyway, so I deleted him instead of "hiding" his posts.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:28 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
It took me a while to join the Facebook craze and set up an account. I never really saw much of a reason to do it. Eventually I caved in and joined the throngs of others on the site. In searching for people I know there, I had come across the RA of my dorm during freshman year in college (which is many years ago now). I sent him a message just to say hi and catch up with him a bit, he replied and sent me a friend request which I approved.

Just the other day, though, I noticed that he was no longer in my list of friends on Facebook (it's not hard to notice that since I have so few to begin with!). If I do a search on his name now, it doesn't come up in the results. I doubt that he suddenly cancelled his account, because he had a few hundred "friends" on FB. We hadn't had any arguments or anything prior to him unfriending me, so it's sort of puzzling why he would do that all of a sudden and with no explanation.

Has anyone else had a similar experience on Facebook?

You called your friend a 'he' so I realize what sex he is. Are you a woman, by any chance? Here is something no one mentioned, and it has happened with me, and others I know.

His girlfriend sees a new female on the site, and questions it. She might have said, who is this chick, and why does she need to be on your Friends list, and why was she searching you out? LOL So many people get deleted because a boy/girlfriend told their partner to remove that person. I have been asked to remove people myself. You never know. If he has a woman, she may be funky about what females make her boyfriend's friends list.
AND..if you two have ever dated or liked each other, and he admitted that..even worse. lol But still, doesnt matter if you two were only friends.

Trust me, happens a lot. And the reason you cant find his name? He probably blocked you. If you just UNfriend someone, you can still find them on Facebook. If you BLOCK them, you will NOT be able to find their name on Facebook. So, his woman might have told him to block you, which now means that you cannot send him messages, which you would have been able to do if he had only UNfriended you.

Thats just another option. He also could have just deleted his account..but what i said happens all the time. Do you know anyone else that is on Facebook that could search for his name..or do you know any other people that are Facebook friends with him that could tell you if he is still on? That will at least clear things up for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet