U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Do you Feel About Google's Search Engine?
I love Google! 7 43.75%
I *used* to love Google but not anymore! 2 12.50%
I hate Google! Because of the Recent User Interface Changes. 1 6.25%
I Hate Google! Because they're trying to take over the world! 0 0%
I hate Google! Because they invade my privacy! 2 12.50%
I hate Google! Because they ruined Youtube and/or <insert site here> 0 0%
I don't care. 4 25.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 11:45 AM

6,473 posts, read 14,162,929 times

Advertisements

Ok perhaps it never went anywhere. Anyway, now Yahoo owns Altavista. For those of you who may remember decent search engines without pictures and a bunch of ads and flash/javascript on the page...Altavista may be for y'all!

I started using Google way back in the day NOT because of their supposedly awesome indexing, but because they had not pictures and no ads. Now when I visit:
1. Google has a bunch of ads
2. Typing into the search is Slow because Google is trying to generate location-based results for me and more ADS
3. I can't even use the up/down arrows to scroll on the page, because there's some flash/javascript crap going on that is highlighting the results for me. I didn't realize I was that stupid.
4. When I hover over a search result all kinds of links and sh(*& appear out of nowhere.
5. Google keeps trying to "help" me by guessing my location.
6. Google is filtering my search results and putting the ADs on top of the list. WTF

Google also is storing my location and other information and sharing it with other sites. And they're not even trying to hide it. I'm officially pissed. I am using Altavista more and more for non-image based searches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 12:20 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,394,093 times
I still like Google. You had some valid points but I like the fact that they change the logo based on the day, holiday, etc. Makes things at least a little interesting.

I didn't like auto search at first but have come to appreciate it. Sometimes it will put up word combinations that I may not have thought of.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I still like Google. You had some valid points but I like the fact that they change the logo based on the day, holiday, etc. Makes things at least a little interesting.

I didn't like auto search at first but have come to appreciate it. Sometimes it will put up word combinations that I may not have thought of.
You are nicer than I am. Honestly, I thought of my search terms before I went to the search engine...so there putting up "popular" searches or trying to GUESS what I'm looking for is not helpful.

The extra several millisecond delay while Google is "helping" me along with my search so I can be part of the crowd is extremely irritating. Sometimes also on my laptop I'll somehow accidentally "select" one of their dumb search terms and then be required to search all over again.

Sorry, Google, I need a lot of help in various areas, but using a search engine is not one of them.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:02 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,593,270 times
You had me until Yahoo. Anything that is remotely connected to that scum of a company is not allowed on my PC. Altavista is still gone as far as I'm concerned.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:55 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,032 times
I've also liked Google for years.

BTW, if you notice, even here on C-D, there are ads between paragraphs here and there, that try to match the subject matter.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:34 AM

28,558 posts, read 19,844,786 times
i used altavista for years before google came along, maybe i'll give them a try again.
i don't like google's autofill much either.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I've also liked Google for years.

BTW, if you notice, even here on C-D, there are ads between paragraphs here and there, that try to match the subject matter.
I sure have...I am going to find a way to get around that...but nowadays various companies "share" cookies. I decided to relinquish my Youtube account...I'd hate to say "byebye" to CD and other sites I like...but I may make that decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet