U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 10:19 PM

28,393 posts, read 48,151,201 times

Advertisements

Brace yourself for some more changes, Facebook users.

Fresh off a recent update that riled up many users, the social network unveiled "the evolution of the profile," called Timelines.

Facebook unveils Timeline profiles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 11:46 PM

15,126 posts, read 14,073,822 times
Count me among those who don't like the new changes. I liked facebook for the relatively clean layout and the "most recent" newsfeed. Now it's just a mess. I would delete it, but this is the best way to stay in touch with family and friends.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:02 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Count me among those who don't like the new changes. I liked facebook for the relatively clean layout and the "most recent" newsfeed. Now it's just a mess. I would delete it, but this is the best way to stay in touch with family and friends.
The BetterFacebook plugin for various browsers can help somewhat, I've found.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:22 AM

7,329 posts, read 13,545,023 times
I use facebook almost exclusively to keep up with news from organizations I'm affiliated with or support. Gradually a few have switched to Timeline, and at the end of the month all accounts will be switched to it. I really hate it. It's much easier to overlook pictures, posts, and comments. It's a shame it will be forced down everyone's throat. It's not the best format for many. If anyone else feels this way, there's a call for people to deactivate their account for 3 days starting March 10. And join the group I Hate Timeline!
I feel really silly trying to rally people for something about facebook, considering I don't even have a page that I post things on, but oh well.
The animal shelter I volunteer for posts pictures of available dogs etc, and I hate to see them get lost in the shuffle of Timeline.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:50 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,959,030 times
I don't see what the big deal is. I only ever go to my own page and read my own wall. I never, ever go to other peoples pages.
And honestly, I do 95% of Facebook from my phone, again only my news feed, so this barely affects users like me.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:19 AM

10,890 posts, read 13,785,795 times
I think this is going to ruin facebook. I still have the old style, & I am holding out til the 30th...But even looking at other people's timelines...the scroll feature doesn't even work!!!

You click on a year or month and start scrolling down/up, it automatically puts you right back up to the top.

Waste of time(line)

Old 03-07-2012, 08:06 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I think this is going to ruin facebook. I still have the old style, & I am holding out til the 30th...But even looking at other people's timelines...the scroll feature doesn't even work!!!

You click on a year or month and start scrolling down/up, it automatically puts you right back up to the top.

Waste of time(line)
Works fine for me.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:46 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,648,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
The BetterFacebook plugin for various browsers can help somewhat, I've found.
I searched for the FF plugin but nothing comes up...

UPDATE: It's now called Social Fixer: http://socialfixer.com/

Old 03-07-2012, 10:37 PM

34,296 posts, read 59,614,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post

Waste of time(line)
An IPO will "ruin" FB.

The pressure to grow revenue and return on investment, quarter over quarter, will force them to keep milking people dry.
Look for paid services and memberships, etc.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:58 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
An IPO will "ruin" FB.

The pressure to grow revenue and return on investment, quarter over quarter, will force them to keep milking people dry.
Look for paid services and memberships, etc.
Facebook's ability to make money is based on the number of members they have. It's in their best interest to keep it as free as possible for individuals to maintain maximum exposure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or