Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 05:00 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,471,525 times

Advertisements

It took me a while to join the Facebook craze and set up an account. I never really saw much of a reason to do it. Eventually I caved in and joined the throngs of others on the site. In searching for people I know there, I had come across the RA of my dorm during freshman year in college (which is many years ago now). I sent him a message just to say hi and catch up with him a bit, he replied and sent me a friend request which I approved.

Just the other day, though, I noticed that he was no longer in my list of friends on Facebook (it's not hard to notice that since I have so few to begin with!). If I do a search on his name now, it doesn't come up in the results. I doubt that he suddenly cancelled his account, because he had a few hundred "friends" on FB. We hadn't had any arguments or anything prior to him unfriending me, so it's sort of puzzling why he would do that all of a sudden and with no explanation.

Has anyone else had a similar experience on Facebook?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 05:07 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
I know two people who cancelled their Facebook accounts without warning their friends. One is a senior citizen who didn't like the unpredictability of the Facebook interface (too much tweaking!) and the friend requests from spammers. The other is a college student whose account was hacked by an acquaintance who figured out either her password or the answer to her security question (I forget which) and proceeded to use the access to threaten her and her friends.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:11 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
Facebook is over-rated.
So is all "social media".
Which seems to be making people less social.

Anti-social media.

Being with people in real life is relating and having friendships.

Online is just talking. Like I am doing here. Who knows who will read it.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:11 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times
yeah
facebook is overrated, kinda neat at first, finding old friends from high school and stuff,
But reality is they aren't real friends anymore anyway.....screw em

Old 09-19-2011, 07:34 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Don't take it personally.
And it certainly is possible he bailed from Facebook. People do it all the time.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:01 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Perhaps he educated himself on the fact that FB really doesn't care about his privacy and closed his account.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:28 AM

80 posts, read 146,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Perhaps he educated himself on the fact that FB really doesn't care about his privacy and closed his account.
Quite likely, I've been on a couple of times. Once they deleted me without an explanation, the second account I wiped on my own after finding "privacy" settings reset after each "privacy review" they made, including publishing friend lists and making all photos public...

For this reason, the site is crap really... Keep off or assume every action you do there is 100% public. Then also, your less educated "friends" on the matter might share things about you that you do not want shared and tie them to your account, so it's probably best to also use a pseudonym if it is absolutely necessary to be on there.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:06 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Earlier this year, I deleted my facebook for two weeks. No warning, rhyme or reason, I just didn't feel like dealing with it. *shrug*

Old 09-19-2011, 11:19 AM

5,585 posts, read 984,541 times
I've learned enough here about FB, to back my own intuition about not wanting to join FB, never have & don't see in the foreseeable future that I will.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:48 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,471,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Facebook is over-rated.
So is all "social media".
Which seems to be making people less social.

Anti-social media.

Being with people in real life is relating and having friendships.

Online is just talking. Like I am doing here. Who knows who will read it.
I agree with what you said, especially about being with people in real life.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

I think I'm probably going to delete my FB account very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet