U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:59 AM

10,890 posts, read 13,785,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

ok, now I'm hungry, so I'm going to go make a sandwich..... but I ain't going to tell you what kind.
I'm sure you'll be back on later to brag about how great it was!

And w/ pics!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 11:54 AM

5,850 posts, read 11,182,756 times
Its a great way to reconnect with old friends that you have lost touch with. Almost every time I visit another city on business, It seems that there are always a few people that I have reconnected with.

I don't get involved with games or friend people I don't know. I spend about 1/2 hour a day on FB, usually on down time. .

Old 10-07-2011, 01:00 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,235,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I just don't understand the Facebook hate.
Seems most people that hate it never actually used it.
I don't think it's really just facebook. It's this era of secrecy.

Did you know that Julian Assange called facebook "the most appalling spy machine ever invented"? It's the most comprehensive database about people, their relationships, their names, their addresses, their locations and communications with each other....in the history of the world.

It's this era of wikileaks, arab uprisings, "new world order" (illuminati) supposedly, consolidation of power (look at the major news networks...are they really critical of facebook?).

Do you think the knowledge from facebook is going to be used for noble purposes in this era? Really?

Sometimes I think this "facebook" thing is an arm of the new world order/illuminati, whatever you want to call it.

There's something about this era of information. It's like it's split down the middle. You don't get the whole truth from the news/media. But then they siphon information on the otherside....like facebook. I wouldn't be suprised if its used against you in 5-10 years.

Similar to what happened to social security. It use to be "harmless", but now its basically used for your identification number. Why can't it be similar with facebook or another site? I don't know. What are they going to do with all that information behind the scenes?

I think google earth is kind of creepy, and I have miles more respect for google.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:32 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
It's the most comprehensive database about people, their relationships, their names, their addresses, their locations and communications with each other....in the history of the world.
And I would agree with that.
But THEY ONLY KNOW WHAT YOU GIVE THEM. Everyone, OR AT LEAST A WHOLE LOT OF FOLKS, seem to think "if I create a Facebook account *BAM* Facebook knows everything about me".
YOU choose what info to share. And yes far to many people fill out the profile 100%. I did not. My "techier" friends do not.
All Facebook knows about me is:
day/month of Birth... not year so they don't know my age.
And that I live in Cleveland, Ohio and who I am married too.

A LOT of people fill in EVERYTHING: favorite movies, books, actors, what they like to do, #kids, high school, college, job, BLBABLABLA

Old 10-07-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23
Did you know that Julian Assange called facebook "the most appalling spy machine ever invented"? It's the most comprehensive database about people, their relationships, their names, their addresses, their locations and communications with each other....in the history of the world.
Quote:
But THEY ONLY KNOW WHAT YOU GIVE THEM.
YOU choose what info to share.

A LOT of people fill in EVERYTHING: favorite movies, books, actors, what they like to do, #kids, high school, college, job, BLBABLABLA

You guys both have completely valid points here.

Most people don't even realize their cell #'s are right smack dab on their profile.

There is way too much OVERSharing on fb... That's one of the things I miss about myspace. You had a cool page with music on it and maybe people would leave you a comment or messsage to talk...Now it's like, uhhhh I am so sick of you, shuuut uuuup!!!...lol

Old 10-07-2011, 09:31 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,235,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
You guys both have completely valid points here.

Most people don't even realize their cell #'s are right smack dab on their profile.

There is way too much OVERSharing on fb... That's one of the things I miss about myspace. You had a cool page with music on it and maybe people would leave you a comment or messsage to talk...Now it's like, uhhhh I am so sick of you, shuuut uuuup!!!...lol
Here's the Assange article.

Assange: Facebook is an 'appalling spy machine' | The Digital Home - CNET News

True, you have "free will" to give over whatever information you want. But still, its a collection of an awful lot of people, 500 million or 800 million around the world. It's another example of privacy going in the wrong direction.

It's an example of questionable, big brother privacy after 9/11. Similar with the patriot act, tsa 4th amendment infringements (unreasonable searches). People being stripped and having their dignity taken away at airports. The increasing use of cameras and photo recognition. Its going in the wrong direction. And people seem to be patsy's. 500 million people is a lot of people.

I don't think people even know the ways data can be used against you. Or what the real consequences may be.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:43 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,878,080 times
Quote:
True, you have "free will" to give over whatever information you want. But still, its a collection of an awful lot of people, 500 million or 800 million around the world. It's another example of privacy going in the wrong direction.
Social media -- most specifically, Facebook -- totally creep me out and, no, I don't need to try it to know that I am better off without it. I find most people annoying and intrusive IN PERSON, and I highly value my privacy.

Facebook reminds me of the Borg and the "hive mind" -- like I said, creepy. I guess I'm lucky that I don't need approbation and interaction on that level.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:

Good read, thanks. I'm gonna go post this on FB. jk

Seriously though, people do need to be reminded to watch their backs when it comes to sharing personal info.

You get alot of dumb people with public profiles and every tiny detail of their personal life available to ...????? Who knows!

Old 10-10-2011, 03:37 AM

80 posts, read 128,810 times
Quote:
But THEY ONLY KNOW WHAT YOU GIVE THEM.
False statement, they know also what information your friends give them about you, knowingly or not.

Anyone who thinks such sites know of only "what you decide to give them" do not really understand the concepts of "sociograms" and "relational databases".

Old 10-10-2011, 08:31 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasra View Post
False statement, they know also what information your friends give them about you, knowingly or not.

Anyone who thinks such sites know of only "what you decide to give them" do not really understand the concepts of "sociograms" and "relational databases".
I quite understand what a relational database is.

But you don't understand Facebook. I don't even allow myself to be "tagged" in photos.
Ok sure, maybe Facebook figured out where I went to High School because a lot of my friends went to the same High School... but there realy isn't much info FB is able to glean from what my friends post. They don't really post ABOUT me. Just:
"Had a peanut butter sandwich! Yum!"
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or