Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 01:50 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
And I would agree with that.
But THEY ONLY KNOW WHAT YOU GIVE THEM. Everyone, OR AT LEAST A WHOLE LOT OF FOLKS, seem to think "if I create a Facebook account *BAM* Facebook knows everything about me".
YOU choose what info to share. And yes far to many people fill out the profile 100%. I did not. My "techier" friends do not.
All Facebook knows about me is:
day/month of Birth... not year so they don't know my age.
And that I live in Cleveland, Ohio and who I am married too.

A LOT of people fill in EVERYTHING: favorite movies, books, actors, what they like to do, #kids, high school, college, job, BLBABLABLA
Yes and no. You dont have to put information in there, other people can simply do it for you. I dont ahve my work place in there but one day logged on and saw it and it had people I worked with in there :| Somebody tagged me as a co worker. So even though I deleted it FB still has it.

You think they cant make out your age ? If somebody posts happy 24th or somestuff on your profile you think its not logged and they dont know your year etc ?

Overall that was a pretty crappy article though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 07:15 PM

901 posts, read 2,387,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

I'm OVER Facebook. I started using it to mock certain people, (because I thought it was dumb), then I found out there were games. Got caught up in some of those until I realized that to get anywhere, they wanted you to spend ACTUAL money. What? No!
I know what you mean. Long before Facebook came along, the first time I ever heard of someone wanting to spend actual money to buy virtual clothes for their avatars, or a special sword for their video game character, my brain almost exploded out through my eyes. I thought "How mindnumbingly STUPID can people be?!?"

What really pees me off these days is that I can no longer comment on the stories at my local news channels' websites, because whereas you used to be able to log in with a specific user name when you registered at their site, people now have to log in using their Facebook info in order to leave comments. (And be forewarned, City-Data....if you guys ever go over to a system like that, I'll never come here again.)

Old 10-21-2011, 07:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
i read it. pretty weak argument. facebook is invaluable tool to employers and the public is hooked on it. they will give up tattoos and internet dating before facebook.
a few smart ones are not posting but the rest line up around the block. an empty circus ring attracts clowns. . stay in your seat son.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:28 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
Once I realized the game Farmville wasn't about the nextown over from me, I was over FB. Sad huh? I thought the game links a friend was sending was about a town near where I lived in Greenville, NC.

I do sometimes go on the sight if one of my nephews or nieces sends a message from the site, but really I much rather they pic up a phone or even text me. So if FB goes the way of the dino
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet