U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:07 PM

28,393 posts, read 48,151,201 times

Advertisements

The world's most popular social network has brought more people together online than any other, as well as helped them waste millions of hours by clicking on cows. Most of its users would probably consider it a good thing overall.

But as we all know, all good things come to an end. Here are three ways Facebook might meet its untimely demise.

How Facebook Will Die - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 10:54 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,262,012 times
Think how much productivity in this country, and others, would increase. The sooner the better.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:12 PM

23,617 posts, read 17,409,864 times
Thanks for that link. I'm going to try that Diaspora because I'm about sick and tired of all the ridiculous updates that FB does that totally RUINS the user experience.

I'm OVER Facebook. I started using it to mock certain people, (because I thought it was dumb), then I found out there were games. Got caught up in some of those until I realized that to get anywhere, they wanted you to spend ACTUAL money. What? No!

Then I found a few family members on there but you know what? They can fricken email me. FB sucks.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:19 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,085,792 times
Face book will be the thing until somethign new comes along.Several other sopcial media sites have loss out to facbook already. Just the way it is. Personally i don't use any. But wife;family and freinds here and away stay in touch with it all the time.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:25 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,235,930 times
I don't like facebook at all. I never joined.

-It's creepy. Big brotherish vibe. Was it in a George Orwell novel?

There's something about this era....9/11, constitutional infringement/abandonment....the TSA, "surveilance"....then "Facebook". Let's get 800 million people together. And share details. It seems like the privacy concerns have overshadowed what was originally intended....just sharing photos.

There seems to be something more "controlling" about it than myspace.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:15 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,959,030 times
I just don't understand the Facebook hate.
Seems most people that hate it never actually used it.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:17 AM

10,890 posts, read 13,785,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

I've been on it for 3-4 yrs.

At times I have loved it and really enjoyed it. Not for games, but general interaction and info, etc.

Lately over the past month I've really started loathing it....and even some of my "friends"!

It makes me want to be even more anti-social than I am already. Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:39 AM

9,353 posts, read 16,134,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I never have used FB, because I see no purpose in its use but to waste profuse amounts of time.

If there is somebody I need to talk to, they can get me over email, SMS, cell etc.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:43 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,262,012 times
FB, twitter..............

I find it alarming that anyone would care that someone made themselves a peanut butter sandwich for lunch............ and even more alarming that the sandwich maker feels they are so important that it should be posted for others to care.

The collective IQ of society is sinking like a stone.

ok, now I'm hungry, so I'm going to go make a sandwich..... but I ain't going to tell you what kind.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:51 AM

15,853 posts, read 30,791,839 times
Before I began using FB, I "hated" it because I feared the unknown. Didn't want to deal with the whole learning curve. Didn't understand it.

Once I jumped in and got my feet wet, I discovered it is a very good way to keep in touch with people. Not only that, but I reconnected with people I had been trying for DECADES to locate and contact, with no luck. I have kept up with the lives of family and friends that I could not have possibly been able to call, write or email on a daily basis. It is wonderful to share their successes and milestones and tears.

I have even met new people and learned more about things that are of interest to me because of that. It is so encouraging to know that there are other people out there with the same interests, ideas and hopes that *I* have. So what if I have never met them in real life. What does that matter?

Anyone who "hates" Facebook either has not taken the time to fully understand it or is afraid to try. Perhaps they are afraid of their own addictive nature and fear that once getting started they won't be able to walk away. Either way, hating something without knowing about it is the mark of a closed mind.

Personally, it has enriched my life immeasureably.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or