U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 11:31 AM

6,865 posts, read 9,539,779 times

Advertisements

I get multiple amounts of 'port scan' blocked every day. Did a 'who is' research on about a dozen of them awile ago to find out who is trying to hack. They were from multiple ISP's all over the U.S. but some were from China, Korea, and a few of the former Soviet bloc countries.
It's amazing to see the amount of incoming garbage that Norton NIS blocks. But hackers are persistant and keep trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 04:02 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,260,164 times
I don't get any. I'm sure that a bunch hit my router and are summarily dropped, but that is what SPI is for.

By default the consumer NAT routers block ALL unsolicited inbound traffic. The only traffic allowed into your network is responses to outbound requests, unless you forward ports or setup a DMZ.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:39 AM

11,581 posts, read 11,580,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Does it look like this?

If so, here is information that might help. Product Support Search - Pace

If your provider has set a password on the device blocking your ability to secure your wireless, DEMAND they give it to you so that you can secure your wireless to protect yourself from people connecting without your permission.
That's it, Ashville. bullseye. I've saved your post and will inquire of SBC exactly how to do what you advise about securing a password to protect myself. Thanks much for your helpful feedback and to everyone else for their input on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or