U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 10:48 AM

40,178 posts, read 41,782,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligali View Post
I recognize that block of code from my attempts elsewhere. And this goes after the code in the body? Or in the header?
It's in myfeed.xml
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
tcm has given it a valiant effort, but there's certain information that someone has to have in order to give you a good answer, .
She sent me link, looks like basic site using one of those site builder programs. Doesn't look like there is any backend. In this case manually edited is really only way to go. In any event my philosophy has always been you need to crawl before you walk, hopefully this provide some understanding about the basics.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:51 AM

105 posts, read 507,827 times
>>1. What information do you want to provide via the feed?

I'd like to get a good RSS URL (that's done, I think) -- which will update every time that page is updated. Or I can manually add in things with that <text> block, if I can place it correctly.

>>2. What CMS (Content Management System) or other software is running your website? (e.g. Joomla, Wordpress, etc.)

I have no clue about this. I use

https://supremecenter43.com:8888/

I create pages by typing directly in, html code, by hand, myself.. if that means anything.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:54 AM

15,209 posts, read 18,488,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
She sent me link, looks like basic site using one of those site builder programs. Doesn't look like there is any backend. In this case manually edited is really only way to go.
Ouch.

Maybe there's a desktop app that can generate the XML? The options are pretty limited with that kind of setup. My best advice would be that it's time to move up to a setup that's a little more powerful. Maybe a cheap GoDaddy or HostGator account with built-in Wordpress support or something.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:55 AM

I don't know about "site building programs." I don't use any programs, just striaght html code, typed in by hand.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's in myfeed.xml

I don't understand. Both blocks of code, the lines in the header and the block with the graphic, have myfeed.xlm in the code.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
>>1. What information do you want to provide via the feed?

I'd like to get a good RSS URL (that's done, I think) -- which will update every time that page is updated.
That's not the way it works, for it automagically update itself you need a server side script and something it can pull the content from like a database. You pages appear to be hardcoded so that is really not an option.

Quote:

>>2. What CMS (Content Management System) or other software is running your website? (e.g. Joomla, Wordpress, etc.)

I have no clue about this. I use

https://supremecenter43.com:8888/
That is link to login into you control panel, makes no difference providing the link but don't give anyone the information to login.

CMS is short for content management sytem. There is two main components, the scripts and the database. In a sense the forum software you are using now is CMS. This allows you to enter information and mange your site through a web interface, the difference between waht you are using and a CMS is that it stores this information in database. From there scripts will pull this information and generate web pages, RSS feeds etc.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Ouch.

Maybe there's a desktop app that can generate the XML? .
Now you're consfuisng things, the feed is XML not the web page.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:04 AM

Sounds like I *can't* do what I want to do -- automatically -- but, as you said, code it in periodically with new links.

Where does that <text> block go?

Old 11-03-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I don't understand. Both blocks of code, the lines in the header and the block with the graphic, have myfeed.xlm in the code.
You need to edit the feed file myfeed.xml, has nothing to do with your HTML page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or