Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 10:20 AM

105 posts, read 573,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You need to edit the feed file myfeed.xml, has nothing to do with your HTML page.

Oh, of course (now I remember where I saw that <text> block).

Did that. Nothing happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 10:22 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Now you're consfuisng things, the feed is XML not the web page.
I know - I was thinking that there might be an app that she could manually input the links, description, etc., and it would spit out the xml file. I don't know if such a beast exists, but it would be easier and less error prone than manually coding in xml.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:25 AM

Clicking on the hyperlink associated with the RSS graphic, when I input that URL to Google Reader:

Sales Specials

It just says "RSS Title" -- no mention of any content, no name of the RSS. And the window has:

"RSS Title" has no unread items.

View all items

...hmm: CityData interpreted that link with the <text> data, "Sales Special" but "Sales Specials" is not showing anywhere else.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:46 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
You removed the feed info at the top. You just want to edit the item(s). I really wish CD had code tags as this would be much easier.

Go back to the example from Wikipedia, start over and just edit between the <item> tags.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I know - I was thinking that there might be an app that she could manually input the links, description, etc., and it would spit out the xml file. I don't know if such a beast exists, but it would be easier and less error prone than manually coding in xml.
A quick Google search shows a lot of tools to do it.

Here's one with really simple interface:
RSS Tutorial - Generate a Website Feed

Old 11-03-2011, 10:55 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
I clicked on the link and the first thing that came to mind was, "The devil went down to Georgia; he was looking for a soul to steal..."

I took violin lessons in elementary school. Got kicked out when I forgot my violin for the 3rd time in the semester. Pretty harsh, considering I was only 8.

Now that I know what you're doing, I think a traditional shopping cart would be ideal for your situation. With that, though, you'd need a regular web hosting account and you'd have to learn how to use the software, and finding a decent free cart with all the required features can be a chore (the commercial products are nice but expensive). I think the free version of CubeCart would probably do it, though. Something to consider.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
You removed the feed info at the top. You just want to edit the item(s). I really wish CD had code tags as this would be much easier.

Go back to the example from Wikipedia, start over and just edit between the <item> tags.

Still nothing.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:07 AM

I'm not sure what a shopping cart has to do with the RSS feed. I use Paypal and it works just beautifully - has, for over a decade. And I don't understand why you think I don't have a "a regular web hosting account." ??????

Old 11-04-2011, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligali View Post
Still nothing.
Looks like you have it right now.

The only thing you want to do now is is add or delete items(s). You can have as many items as you want, each one needs a new <item> tag.

I didn't know there was W3 tutorial, check it out here.

RSS Syntax

Old 11-04-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Looks like you have it right now.

The only thing you want to do now is is add or delete items(s). You can have as many items as you want, each one needs a new <item> tag.

I didn't know there was W3 tutorial, check it out here.

RSS Syntax

Thank you so much for all your help. It is working this morning. I'll check out the tutorial.

Many thanks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet