U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 09:43 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,262,012 times

Advertisements

Maybe they are leaving their wifi open as a 'honey pot' to attract neighbors to connect so they can capture traffic, and/or hack your computer while you are connected.

When your computer is connected, it is part of their network. The computer name probably makes it easy to identify who you are. Every windows computer has an administrative share enabled by default, and if they know who you are then password guess becomes easy (your dogs name, etc.)

Or think about that the next time you connect to a public wifi (starbucks, McDonalds). What is that weird dude in the back booth doing on his computer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 10:47 AM

2,182 posts, read 4,706,159 times
Just wanted to point out to you, OP, that the only reason it connects to his sometimes is because you connected to it (either accidentally or on purpose, not my place to say and frankly I don't care) and now it "remembers" that connection. You can "forget" WiFi connections on almost any device, so that the next time it is near, it won't automatically connect.

Ok, carry on.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:13 AM

Additionally you can also set the "preferred" network to connect to when within range.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:15 AM

13,314 posts, read 20,365,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Maybe they are leaving their wifi open as a 'honey pot' to attract neighbors to connect so they can capture traffic, and/or hack your computer while you are connected.

When your computer is connected, it is part of their network. The computer name probably makes it easy to identify who you are. Every windows computer has an administrative share enabled by default, and if they know who you are then password guess becomes easy (your dogs name, etc.)

Or think about that the next time you connect to a public wifi (starbucks, McDonalds). What is that weird dude in the back booth doing on his computer?
Bolded part is true, but then some of us know how to lock it down.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Bolded part is true, but then some of us know how to lock it down.
We are a distinct minority. I suspect that the majority don't even know that these share exists, so securing it is not on their radar.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:59 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,842,581 times
Quote:
My first honest thought would be, he is downloading pron. Then I would hack into his laptop to see if my suspicions were true or not.

....just kidding!

Old 11-22-2011, 10:46 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,571,467 times
Quote:
We are a distinct minority. I suspect that the majority don't even know that these share exists, so securing it is not on their radar.

With that being the case, they wouldn't be smart enough to create a honey pot either.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:20 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,084,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
If your signal crosses my property line then why can't I use it.
Yup, kind of like my neighbor watering his yard and spraying into my yard. Am I going to complain because something he pays for is being given to me for free?

I will use open Wifi networks, but I would never hack into one that is password protected.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:36 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,959,030 times
As I've said in the past on here, most true "hackers" are geeks that feel "the internet should be wide open".
When my nephew was at OSU he and a geek buddy of his did 'war driving'. Driving around with a Pringles can attached to his laptop to find wifi networks.
If they found a business or a house with an open network they would move along to the next one. Until they found secured ones. Those are the people they went after.

Nerds....

Old 11-23-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
As I've said in the past on here, most true "hackers" are geeks that feel "the internet should be wide open".
When my nephew was at OSU he and a geek buddy of his did 'war driving'. Driving around with a Pringles can attached to his laptop to find wifi networks.
If they found a business or a house with an open network they would move along to the next one. Until they found secured ones. Those are the people they went after.

Nerds....
Got an app for that on my phone that will plot them on a map, I just have to drive around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet