U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-13-2011, 05:18 PM
 
Location: GIlbert, AZ
3,025 posts, read 4,588,961 times
Reputation: 2062

Advertisements

Cant get a fast internet stream at work, Im in a job where I have hours of extra time (Watching movies is encouraged). Internet is from Cricket...SLOW. I want to down load some tv series on a thumb drive and bring them to work with me. Is there a free sharing type of site. I used to use Gnuetella network (spelled wrong Im sure), but I just ended up with viruses and unwanted porn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2011, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,345 posts, read 83,906,601 times
Reputation: 17566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Cant get a fast internet stream at work, Im in a job where I have hours of extra time (Watching movies is encouraged). Internet is from Cricket...SLOW. I want to down load some tv series on a thumb drive and bring them to work with me. Is there a free sharing type of site. I used to use Gnuetella network (spelled wrong Im sure), but I just ended up with viruses and unwanted porn.
Some people go to google, type in a movie name and the word "torrent" and use a program like bittorrent or utorrent.

Like this:

torrent "the company men" - Google Search


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2011, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Duluth, Minnesota, USA
7,653 posts, read 15,574,654 times
Reputation: 6677
If they are mainstream series (ones you see on the networks, for example), no, there aren't any free, legal outlets. You can stream shows on Hulu and the like for free, but not download them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2011, 06:59 PM
 
Location: GIlbert, AZ
3,025 posts, read 4,588,961 times
Reputation: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
If they are mainstream series (ones you see on the networks, for example), no, there aren't any free, legal outlets. You can stream shows on Hulu and the like for free, but not download them.
Remember, I cannot stream them, as I have nothing better than a dial up connection at work...Its Cricket man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2011, 08:18 AM
 
7,376 posts, read 13,032,967 times
Reputation: 6974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Remember, I cannot stream them, as I have nothing better than a dial up connection at work...Its Cricket man
lol so you think downloading them is a better option? The small movie files are around 680 megs. The medium Blue ray rips are around 1.6gigs.
The large blue ray rips are up to 4gigs.

As the guy said above, its illegal to download them. When you are downloading a torrent, there are "snoop" companies that will download the movie as well so they can connect to your IP address and log it. 95% of the time nothing will happen, but do you want to be that 1% that they sue?

I suggest netflix or something like that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2011, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
3,685 posts, read 8,494,847 times
Reputation: 2978
In two weeks the OP will be posting that he was infected by malware from a movie download site, and needs help cleaning up the computer at work before anyone finds out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2011, 04:18 PM
 
2,182 posts, read 4,706,159 times
Reputation: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
lol so you think downloading them is a better option? The small movie files are around 680 megs. The medium Blue ray rips are around 1.6gigs.
The large blue ray rips are up to 4gigs.
He said he was going to download them at home and bring them to work on a flash drive because the internet connection at work was too poor to stream movies with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
95% of the time nothing will happen, but do you want to be that 1% that they sue?
What happened to the other 4%? Or are you saying only 1% of people get busted 5% of the time? So really your chances are like .005%?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
I suggest netflix or something like that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2011, 08:11 PM
 
Location: Texas State Fair
8,565 posts, read 9,804,039 times
Reputation: 4230
Congress is working on a new bill, ProtectIP. Soon there will be NO free streaming sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:43 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top