Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 02:15 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,441,216 times

Advertisements

Out of more than a billion logins to the website every 24 hours, 600,000 are impostors attempting to access users’ messages, photos and other personal information Facebook said.

The figure is the first time that Facebook has revealed how it is bombarded by hackers on a daily basis.

Hackers go after Facebook sites 600,000 times every day - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 05:35 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,444,060 times
Is that all? Between the naivety of users and FB's habitual lack of security I would expect it to be a gold mine for hackers.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:55 AM

16,482 posts, read 19,517,698 times
Ande yet I don't know a single person that has had thier account comprimised.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
A FB account is basically worthless, except for those that want to mine the information from what is viewable. But what about the theft of their identity? What about the kids that are bullied on FB, what about the victims of crimes due to the information they posted on FB, and FB deliberately made public by changing the rules without announcing the changes?

Old 11-01-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
But what about the theft of their identity?
Yea, because that's real common.

Quote:
What about the kids that are bullied on FB, what about the victims of crimes due to the information they posted on FB, and FB deliberately made public by changing the rules without announcing the changes?
What about the 600,000,000 people on Facebook that don't get bullied? That have a perfectly enjoyable experience on Facebook?
People die in cars, too, should we stop driving?

Old 11-01-2011, 09:15 AM

774 posts, read 2,592,087 times
Quote:

Really!!!!! I know several. Infact I might know dozens if I cared to count. if you choose to put you're life out there for the world to see then to deserve to have it exploited. FB's security settings are a joke and "locking down your privacy" is comical at best.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Yea, because that's real common.
15 million cases of identity theft a year. Yea, not common at all.

Sorry I stepped on your prime social outlet in your life. But if you have some inner need to fabricate a personae you can't live up to in the real world to try to impress people that really don't give a damn about you in the first place, go for it.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:53 AM

3,455 posts, read 4,797,983 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
Really!!!!! I know several. Infact I might know dozens if I cared to count. if you choose to put you're life out there for the world to see then to deserve to have it exploited. FB's security settings are a joke and "locking down your privacy" is comical at best.
I also know several. I know someone who's pictures were changed which was actually very amusing. You should have seen the pictures that were used to replace them. It was hilarious. lmao!

I think the same as Asheville Native. FB is pretty silly if you think about it. You post all of that crap about your life and nobody really gives a rip other than they sit and make fun of it. I hear and see people all the time gathered around a laptop making fun of stuff on people's FB and how important they think they are or whatever. They way I see it, it is basically like a continuation of high school behavior. That is just my opinion though, so if you enjoy all the silliness and drama, by all means have at it; there is plenty of it there.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Sorry I stepped on your prime social outlet in your life. But if you have some inner need to fabricate a personae you can't live up to in the real world to try to impress people that really don't give a damn about you in the first place, go for it.
Wow. Really? Where did that come from? I am just talking here, my friend. Seems like you're the one with the attitude.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:44 AM

Back to the DISCUSSION...

Quote:
15 million cases of identity theft a year. Yea, not common at all.
But how much of that is from Facebook? I'd guess practically none of it. You can get more information about me from the Yellow Pages then you can from Facebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet