U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 03:59 PM

12,963 posts, read 22,990,749 times
Default Wireless Internet While Auto Traveling Questions?

I have some questions for the wifi experts on here pertaining to recieving wireless internet while traveling in my vehicle as i may possibly be doing some traveling and camping around the perimeter of florida over several months at a time sometime in 2012 if all goes to plan.

O.k. i know that with a laptop or pc tablet i could pick up a wifi signal in the area surrounding a ''hot spot'' at specific locations in different towns/cities etc. . However what i'm unsure about is if i could recieve the signal even if i'm not around any ''hot spot'' just like i can with my cell phone or does this technology not exist as of yet?

I appreciate any help here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 04:04 PM

14,648 posts, read 16,103,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
I have some questions for the wifi experts on here pertaining to recieving wireless internet while traveling in my vehicle as i may possibly be doing some traveling and camping around the perimeter of florida over several months at a time sometime in 2012 if all goes to plan.

O.k. i know that with a laptop or pc tablet i could pick up a wifi signal in the area surrounding a ''hot spot'' at specific locations in different towns/cities etc. . However what i'm unsure about is if i could recieve the signal even if i'm not around any ''hot spot'' just like i can with my cell phone or does this technology not exist as of yet?

I appreciate any help here!
There are tablets that you purchase THROUGH YOUR CELL PHONE PROVIDER which have SIM cards in them and can connect you to a data plan. You can also take advantage of any wifi that might be available to save your data if you are on a limited plan.

There are only a few cell phone companies that offer an unlimited data plan. Unfortunately they may not have coverage everywhere. Verizon, on the other hand has coverage *almost* everywhere, but you pay DEARLY for limited data plans with them.

If you are going to be sticking mainly with larger cities and interstates, there is a good chance that you can use one of the unlimited carriers. I'd call around to get the best deal available.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-04-2011, 01:34 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,828,279 times
You have other options besides a tablet that has a built-in radio to access the Internet using the wireless phone provider's cellular network.

You can turn most smartphones into WiFi hotspots themselves, though it usually incurs an extra monthly fee in addition to the data fees.

The wireless providers also offer devoted WiFi hotspots and modems (mostly USB but there are a few PC Card/ExpressCard) that connect to their cellular networks to provide Internet connectivity to WiFi devices, including tablets and laptops.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:35 AM

26,365 posts, read 51,646,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There are tablets that you purchase THROUGH YOUR CELL PHONE PROVIDER which have SIM cards in them and can connect you to a data plan. You can also take advantage of any wifi that might be available to save your data if you are on a limited plan.

There are only a few cell phone companies that offer an unlimited data plan. Unfortunately they may not have coverage everywhere. Verizon, on the other hand has coverage *almost* everywhere, but you pay DEARLY for limited data plans with them.

If you are going to be sticking mainly with larger cities and interstates, there is a good chance that you can use one of the unlimited carriers. I'd call around to get the best deal available.

20yrsinBranson
I have a laptop with a 3G sim card. I get 5 gigs/month for $45 (corporate discount, normally $60.) Since it is USB I can plug that sim card into any computer.
I also use Connectify, a little program that lets me turn my 3G laptop into a wireless hot spot itself so several of us in our car can connect to the internet via my 3G connection. Obviously, the pipe isn't that big - we can't all stream simultaneously, but we can all easily surf.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:22 AM

12,963 posts, read 22,990,749 times
Thanks to everyone who posted !!!

I've been with verizon (cell phone) for some years now and so i just briefly checked at their website and i see that they sell tablets and offer different subscription plans etc. and so i'll check out more of the details from them in a bit as well as look more into some of the things that were posted that i had not a clue about like SIM Cards for example (i need to get with the times .lol.).

Oh yeah the Smart Phones was what i was trying to imply at first as i was thinking that if we can recieve the internet on these devices even away from specific hot spots then wouldn't tablets offer the same service.

Thanks again as you all were very helpful !

Old 12-04-2011, 01:00 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,828,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
as well as look more into some of the things that were posted that i had not a clue about like SIM Cards for example (i need to get with the times .lol.).
The device you are interested in is a USB cellular modem. The person who called it a "SIM Card" was confused. A SIM card is something you stick in a device (phone, modem, mobile hotspot) to access a carrier's network. AT&T and T-Mobile use sim cards, but most devices on Verizon didn't even have a sim card slots until recently, since their 4G LTE devices require sim cards.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:04 PM

19,618 posts, read 13,709,132 times
6 Foot 3... I think your best option is to visit the Verizon store and just talk directly with them. You have several options.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:59 PM

12,684 posts, read 13,951,216 times
I can use my android to create a hotspot for use by a laptop or ipad, for $22.95/month additional, but I find it just as easy to use the phone itself.
The problem with travel is you will run into areas with no cell service and
even that will not work.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:07 PM

16,311 posts, read 13,129,651 times
4g

People post entire rants in upper case, yet it always makes the G above lower case

Old 12-08-2011, 09:28 AM

8,567 posts, read 4,527,550 times
Quote:
I think I'm hearing two different methods here, one cellular network, the other a wifi signal.

On my own Verizon Droid, I have network turned OFF as I have a very limited data plan (100meg). So I - never - never - never - transfer data over the cellular network. Only voice and text.

I do use WiFi on the Smartphone, principally through my own home internet router. The Verizon cellular network knows nothing about that. I do have it set to notify me of OTHER WiFi availability. Earlier this week I was in Home Depot and got an alert of WiFi connection available. Being too far from my home, that connection was lost. I checked the Home Depot WiFi and was accessible without login.

Having said that, the cellular network for data is available most anyplace you go, mostly excepting vacant spaces in remote regions of the U.S.

WiFi is available only within the short range of any given WiFi signal. Move from one Starbucks to the next and you have change WiFi access. (I say that as example only. I haven't been in a Starbucks in well over five years).

And as MediocrebutArrogant says, you can use your Smartphone as a WiFi HotSpot. For instance, in a disaster area where all services, including electricity, are lost, if everyone were to set their Smartphones to HotSpot, then anyone could use those HotSpots as a WiFi chain to communicate over a distance.

Last edited by Willsson; 12-08-2011 at 09:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet