Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 09:09 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times

Advertisements

After 3 years of no broadcast TV service, I'm thinking about breaking down and setting us up to watch internet video on the TV. I need some advice because I haven't kept up with this technology at all. The only place to buy electronics locally is Wal Mart and Target, so I don't anticipate getting any expert advice there.

I've got high speed internet through the local phone company hooked to the computer via whatever modem they provided. I've also got a non-HD TV that works fine that I'd like to use if possible. We've just got the one computer so there's currently no router. The TV is on the direct opposite side of a wall from the computer so it should be plenty close enough for a wireless signal, but also close enough to run a cable through the wall if that is a better option (I'd prefer not to do this as we rent).

I'm looking for something VERY easy to set up and use, reliable, good variety of channels, and is reasonably priced (I'd like to get it all done for around $150 or less). Any advice is greatly appreciated, but please be somewhat specific. "I've got a Roku and I love it" doesn't tell me much. "I've got XXXX device and a XXXX router and I'm able to watch XXXX channels, it took XXXX minutes to set it up and I've never had to do anything else to it" is more what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 10:03 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,258 times
I doubt you're going to be able to send a video/audio signal over wireless, so you're probably looking at sitting your computer within several feet of your TV or buying some really long video cables, which can decrease quality with length.

You will have to have a video card that has an output that will work with your TV. Most TVs have RCA hookups (yellow/red/white) and some video cards have RCA out (just the yellow video part at least). If your TV has S-Video that's better than RCA, and some video cards have that output as well. You say you have a non-HD TV, but if it has an actual VGA input (blue analog connection that's standard for most computers) then that would work best. But my guess is you will only have RCA or S-Video. If it's a really old TV with just coax (cable) or even just the two antenna screws, you will probably have to buy some converter to where it's more worthwhile to get a new TV probably.

What I have is a TV with S-Video in, and I turn the TV volume down and use my computer speakers for audio. The video card that has S-Video out I bought on ebay for I think $50 a few years ago. It just plugs into the TV just like any other device like a DVD player or game console.

So you first need to examine what you have:
TV inputs?
Computer OS (Windows XP etc)
Computer hardware (video card with what outputs?)

Also be sure you have a computer that's decent enough to show video without being choppy. Most computers newer than 6-8 years old are good enough, especially if they have a couple gigs of RAM, and if you buy a decent video card for the output, that will most likely guarantee it will work.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:19 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,972,617 times
You can stream Netflix. Just buy a cheap Blu Ray player and you can stream it through that. And, yes, you can stream audio/video over wifi. I do it every day on my laptop. As long as you have a good wifi router, it shouldn't be an issue.

If the Blu Ray is not an option, here is what you can do. Does your TV have a VGA hook up? Can't tell? See below. That is VGA. S-Video will suffice, but it is not that great in comparison to VGA. You can connect your computer to your TV directly that way. You can watch Hulu (Watch TV. Watch Movies. | Online | Free | Hulu) for free and, if you have a subscription to Netflix streaming ($9.99/month), you can stream directly to your TV. For audio, you can buy an adapter that connects 3.5mm headphone jack to a RCA L/R audio cable that plugs in to the back of your TV. Either that, or you can just use your computer speakers if you have some. Let me know if you need more info, I'd be happy to help.

What you will need:

VGA Cable

Computer speakers

OR

3.5 to RCA Cable to hook from computer sound card to TV audio input

I haven't had cable TV for years because of this technology.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:14 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
And, yes, you can stream audio/video over wifi. I do it every day on my laptop. As long as you have a good wifi router, it shouldn't be an issue.
True but you need a device plugged into the TV to receive the wifi data. The TV in question is not HD so I assume it doesn't have wifi built-in. I meant that you can't (easily) send a video/audio signal across wifi, whereas I assume you just mean network data.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:11 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,393 times
As you pointed out... 'someone loves their Roku.' You might also use a PS3 or Xbox 360. This might require a router for internet access.

How do I set up my Roku player? : Featured Questions

Quote:
Settings - you will be given 2 options to connect the player to your router:
  • Wired (Roku XS model) – Use an Ethernet cable (not included) to connect your player to your router.
    • Click the “wired” option to continue.
  • Wireless (All models) – on the subsequent screens, you will select your wireless network name and enter security password for your wireless network.
    • Click the “wireless” option to continue.
Roku does have some default programming but the scripting store offers a whole lot of programming that would require some minimal subscription fee... a few bucks. Each. Otherwise, Roku is free to view.

I use my computer to access internet TV with a PlayOn application on the PC, minimum requirements for PC. Watch Internet Videos on Your TV | PlayOn. The PlayOn gives a much wider option of viewing. The PC accesses web content, the Roku accesses the PlayON.

Roku > $50 to $100, depending on model
PlayON > $40 first year, $20 yearly
Quote:
$10 (one time onely) scripts subscription. Not required but worth it.

*Subscribe to all your favorite scripts to keep up to date and download one easy file that contains them all.
*One click downloading from your subscription page, and script and plugin pages.
*Create Lists and download one easy file that contains them all.
Here's where you get PlayON scripts to download to your PC. Take a look.

To do the above, you would want a router. I have a $40 Belkin, four port.

Last edited by Willsson; 12-09-2011 at 03:23 PM..

Old 12-10-2011, 04:11 AM

14 posts, read 23,165 times
You can stream Hit online. Just buy a low-cost Blu Ray individual and you can stream it through that. And, yes, you can stream audio/video over wifi. I do it every day on my laptop computer or computer. Providing you have a fantastic wifi swap, it shouldn't be a task.

If the Blu Ray is not an decision, here is what you can do. Does your TV have a VGA be attached up? Can't tell? See below. That is VGA. S-Video will acceptable, but it is not that fantastic in review to VGA. You can be attached your laptop computer or computer or laptop computer or computer to your TV instantly that way. you can stream instantly to your TV. For popular music, you can buy an adaptor that links 3.5mm headset slot to a RCA L/R popular music line tv that links in to the again of your TV. Either that, or you can just use your laptop computer or computer or laptop computer or computer speakers if you have some. Let me know if you need more truth,

I'd be happy to help.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:24 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
We watch 'TV' on our computer screens.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:20 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We watch 'TV' on our computer screens.
As do we. But we only have one computer, a desktop, and it's stuffed into a corner of an 8 x 12 spare bedroom that we use as an office. It's fine for one person to sit and watch one program or a few videos, but if the whole family wants to watch something we have to sit on kitchen chairs, and if the person closest to the wall has to get up for any reason everybody else has to get up and leave the room in order to let him or her out. It's also a hassle when one person wants to watch a show at the same time somebody else has to use the computer.

I appreciate all the responses so far. What I am looking for is a "set top" device, such as a Roku. Everything I've read about it seems like it might be the best be for us, but I don't know what else might be out there. So I appreciate all the input!

Old 12-10-2011, 01:49 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
As do we. But we only have one computer, a desktop, and it's stuffed into a corner of an 8 x 12 spare bedroom that we use as an office. It's fine for one person to sit and watch one program or a few videos, but if the whole family wants to watch something we have to sit on kitchen chairs, and if the person closest to the wall has to get up for any reason everybody else has to get up and leave the room in order to let him or her out. It's also a hassle when one person wants to watch a show at the same time somebody else has to use the computer.

I appreciate all the responses so far. What I am looking for is a "set top" device, such as a Roku. Everything I've read about it seems like it might be the best be for us, but I don't know what else might be out there. So I appreciate all the input!
My parents have a projection thing. It projects the images onto a blank wall. They love it.

You can get them to connect right to you PC.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:21 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I doubt you're going to be able to send a video/audio signal over wireless
Nonsense, of course you can. I stream HD Netflix to my wireless Blue Ray player, and can still use my laptop and watch a different video stream on it at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet