U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 10:30 AM

8,957 posts, read 17,005,188 times

Advertisements

PROTECT IP Act Breaks the Internet

Stop American Censorship

Don't Break the Internet - Stanford Law Review

About time to b*tch out your politicians..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 10:32 AM

10,589 posts, read 10,317,990 times
if you can save the world via the internet - they are wise to you - You will be deleted..banned and pushed aside - the world and the internet like things the way they are - miserable and profitable so a small few.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:56 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,850,438 times
Like the Internet is not censored now

Politicians don't give a sh*t what the American people care about and you think a couple of telephone calls from paranoid people like you are going to do anything?

The politicians behind this are as clueless as obama is over economices...

Last edited by plwhit; 12-22-2011 at 03:08 PM..

Old 12-23-2011, 06:04 AM

8,567 posts, read 9,330,054 times
Should either SOPA and/or Protect IP become law then I suspect we'll have seen the better days of the internet.

Congress should be proud of itself for continuing to excel in it's pathetic achievements.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:20 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,122,907 times
Internet Censorship has failed in the past and will continue to do so. You just can't effectively censor the internet.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:10 AM

2,182 posts, read 4,509,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Internet Censorship has failed in the past and will continue to do so. You just can't effectively censor the internet.
But with these bills, they can very, very easily do so. DMCA never helped anyone but the ones who put it into place originally. Artists hate it, consumers hate it, retailers hate it. With SOPA/PIPA, your site/content can be taken down by a single complaint of copyright infringement, without even giving you any warning or time to remove the content. This includes comments and user-uploaded information that you have no control over.

I help run a forum, and if one of my users posts copyrighted material, the entire site could be seized.

I've been doing everything I can to support anti-SOPA/PIPA groups. I just recently moved all of my domains away from GoDaddy to another provider because they support the bill. (They're a scumbag company anyway so I should have done it sooner, but I digress)

In any event, I truly hope this doesn't pass. It will be detrimental to everyone who uses the internet, especially those who use it to make a living (read: youtube partners, adspace agencies, etc)

I think this is much more serious than many people are taking it, mostly because most media outlets support it. ABC is a very large supporter of SOPA. Fox is also in support.

People who don't understand the Internet should not be the ones regulating it.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:19 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,122,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
But with these bills, they can very, very easily do so. DMCA never helped anyone but the ones who put it into place originally. Artists hate it, consumers hate it, retailers hate it. With SOPA/PIPA, your site/content can be taken down by a single complaint of copyright infringement, without even giving you any warning or time to remove the content. This includes comments and user-uploaded information that you have no control over.

I help run a forum, and if one of my users posts copyrighted material, the entire site could be seized.

I've been doing everything I can to support anti-SOPA/PIPA groups. I just recently moved all of my domains away from GoDaddy to another provider because they support the bill. (They're a scumbag company anyway so I should have done it sooner, but I digress)

In any event, I truly hope this doesn't pass. It will be detrimental to everyone who uses the internet, especially those who use it to make a living (read: youtube partners, adspace agencies, etc)

I think this is much more serious than many people are taking it, mostly because most media outlets support it. ABC is a very large supporter of SOPA. Fox is also in support.

People who don't understand the Internet should not be the ones regulating it.
The implications that you describe are very real and certainly are of concern. I agree with you completely.

However, I don't think this law can be effective at all. We've already seen things which are no longer allowed on the web move off the web. But they are still very much still on the internet. So I wonder if this kind of legislation will just move even more content off the web to other areas on the internet that cannot "currently" be regulated.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:39 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,509,851 times
It will, and that's the problem. Surely there isn't a true way to fully regulate the Internet, but what it DOES do is stifle legitimate and popular outlets for expression and exchange of information.

Side note, Reddit has promoted such a gigantic drive to boycott Godaddy, that Godaddy has released a statement less than 24 hours into the boycott stating that they no longer support the bill.

Of course this is most likely a PR stunt, but people are getting results. It's very invigorating.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:52 PM

8,567 posts, read 9,330,054 times
And SlashDot has a link to an Crowdsourced database of SOPA supporters. You can check with the supporters to see if they're still in, or you can boycott their products.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:01 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Self-censorship is worse than Mandated censorship, because nobody ever challenges it. Internet providers are running in fear that the government will impose censorship on them, and that's all it takes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or