U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-10-2012, 12:25 PM

7,497 posts, read 9,775,187 times
Default Google double-click ads

What's up with these double click cookies? I get on soem web sites and I cannot go back to previous page. When I go to the drop down to bo back, I see google double click ads page cookies?

Is there a way by pass this annoyance??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 12:41 PM

20,667 posts, read 21,463,608 times
What about ad blocker?

Old 01-11-2012, 01:14 AM

21,939 posts, read 15,767,559 times
Cookies like doubleclick are used to aggregate data across multiple domains, it's kind of like the middleman. Only the domain that has a set a cookie can read that cookie. SiteA cannot access information in SiteB's cookie. Instead when you visit SiteA an ad may be served through a third domain and set a third party cookie, when you visit SiteB who is also allowing the third party to set a cookie they know what your activities were on Site A.

As far as your particular problem are you sure these are not new tabs or new Window?

Old 01-11-2012, 01:19 PM

38,741 posts, read 36,383,228 times
I've had that happen to me, too, but not frequently. Get into a site and you can click the back button a million times, and you remain locked on the same page. You have to go to History in order to get back where you had been.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:55 PM

20,667 posts, read 21,463,608 times
Happen to me to. I just click back button fast several times, it usually brings me back to the previous page.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:13 AM

21,939 posts, read 15,767,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Happen to me to. I just click back button fast several times, it usually brings me back to the previous page.
In that case they used a meta refresh on intermediate page.

Click link to intermediate page >> intermedite page redirects to second page

Now your stuck in a loop because when you click the back button it takes you to the intermediate page which immediately redirects you back to the page you're trying to browse away from. By clicking it fast the intermediate page never has a chance to load.

Usually redirections are done at the server level with HTTP headers and no page is sent, the browser does not include the redirection in your history. On the other hand a meta refresh is in the header of the HTML document itself. A meta refresh could be used by a site to trap someone there but it's also possible a novice has used it as a "poor mans" version of redirection without understanding the consequences becsue it's easy to implement .

Last edited by thecoalman; 01-12-2012 at 03:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet