Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:27 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I've been selling many things on Ebay this past week because I'm moving. It's a pain to see how many fees Ebay and Paypal charges.
I've seen them take only about 10% to 15% combined?. What kind of fees are you experiencing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 08:31 AM

720 posts, read 3,006,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I've seen them take only about 10% to 15% combined?. What kind of fees are you experiencing?
ebay fees very depending on category and price point but generally i wanna say it works out to no more than 12.9% at the very most. paypal is 2.9% and ebay it about 10% maybe a hair under.

fees do get better if you sell alot of stuff and do volume i think my paypal fees are about 2% and ebay gives me a 20% break on fees for being a top rated seller nad power seller.

fees are wierd though recently i noticed i make about $7 more on a product i sell for $110 than i do on the very same product that also sells for $117 i assume fees % wise are lower on items under $115 or something like that.

people love to cry about paypal feesand ebay fees. yeha is sucks i normally pay almost $2,000 a month in these fees but nowhere else will you get the amount of people looking at your product and the reach you get with ebay. also i know paypal fees suck too but who else is going to give you a merchant account to use at no cost to you upfront no min of amouint of trans you have to do per month. that new service square is about the same as paypal in terms of fees

Old 06-23-2012, 09:46 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,653,909 times
Have a question, could this be right?
Put up my grandaughters used shoes for resale. I was charging $5.99 and my Ebay fees after listing are $2.00!!!!!
That is NOT a final value fee, that is just my listing fee.
It says on the site that the first 50 listings are free each month. First picture is free. I got stuck having to put them in 2 categories because of the size (toddler and girls shoes), I always list early so that is 10 cents, 2 pictures that were not free so that is 30 cents. I can't figure out where this $2.00 fee could be coming from.
Is this normal?
I haven't sold in over a year, have things changed that much?

Old 06-25-2012, 10:07 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
I am also curious about maggies qusetion. I did see the first 50 listings are free, yet when i tried to put something on ebay i was being charged.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:45 AM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
From eBay:
Quote:
Free insertion fees

For up to 50 auction-style listings per month, you only pay fees when your item sells.
Free insertion fee details:
  • Insertion fees are free for 50 auction-style listings per month. A month begins at 12:00:01 am Pacific Time on the first day of each calendar month and ends at 11:59:59 pm Pacific Time on the last day of the month.
  • If your listing is eligible for a $0.00 insertion fee, your insertion fee will appear as "Free" in the listing form. If you're relisting an item, the relist is eligible for $0.00 insertion fees under the same guidelines as a new listing (as long as it's an auction-style listing in an eligible category, and falls within the limit of 50 listings in a calendar month). All listings (including relisted and canceled listings) count toward the 50 listings limit.
  • You can also add the Buy It Now feature to those 50 auction-style listings a month for free. Learn more on our fees page.
  • If you list in 2 categories, you'll be charged the regular insertion fee for the second category. All other fees, including fees for any optional features and services you may use (such as Bold and 10-day duration) still apply.
  • Final value fees will apply when your item sells (for auction-style listings, 9.0% of the item's total cost to buyer with a maximum charge of $250.00).
  • eBay Stores listings are not eligible for $0.00 insertion fees. Learn more about insertion fees for eBay Stores.
  • All categories are eligible for $0.00 insertion fees except:
    • Real Estate
    • The following Motors subcategories: Boats, Cars & Trucks, Motorcycles, Other Vehicles & Trailers, Powersports
    • The following Business & Industrial subcategories:
      • Agriculture & Forestry > Antique Tractors & Equipment > Tractors
      • Agriculture & Forestry > Tractors & Farm Machinery
      • Construction > Heavy Equipment & Trailers
      • Healthcare, Lab & Life Science > Imaging & Aesthetics Equipment
      • Industrial Supply & MRO > Forklifts & Other Lifts
      • Manufacturing & Metalworking > Manufacturing Equipment
      • Manufacturing & Metalworking > Metalworking Equipment
      • Printing & Graphic Arts > Commercial Printing Presses
      • Restaurant & Catering > Concession Trailers & Carts
+

Final Value Fees:
Quote:
Here's an example of a final value fee calculation for an auction-style listing:
  • You sell an item for $95.00 with a shipping cost of $5.00.
  • Your final value fee on the item cost is 9% of $95.00, which is $8.55.
  • Your final value fee on the shipping cost is 9% of $5.00, which is $0.45.
I think their fees have become a bit ridiculous. There needs to be at least one or two other equally big auction sites, with the lack of competition they will continue to find ways to charge more fees.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:45 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,407,499 times
The 'free' listings depends on a few factors.
Auction listings, or Auction + BuyItNow listings are free
Fixed Price listings are not

First category is free
if you list in a second category (same item, 2 categories), you would get charged 1 insertion fee and double upgrade fees.

If you go into your ebay account, and click on the Account tab, then go to Seller Account, you would be able to view your invoice and see all the fees itemized.

Hope this helps

Old 06-25-2012, 11:18 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
ebay fees very depending on category and price point but generally i wanna say it works out to no more than 12.9% at the very most. paypal is 2.9% and ebay it about 10% maybe a hair under.

fees do get better if you sell alot of stuff and do volume i think my paypal fees are about 2% and ebay gives me a 20% break on fees for being a top rated seller nad power seller.

fees are wierd though recently i noticed i make about $7 more on a product i sell for $110 than i do on the very same product that also sells for $117 i assume fees % wise are lower on items under $115 or something like that.

people love to cry about paypal feesand ebay fees. yeha is sucks i normally pay almost $2,000 a month in these fees but nowhere else will you get the amount of people looking at your product and the reach you get with ebay. also i know paypal fees suck too but who else is going to give you a merchant account to use at no cost to you upfront no min of amouint of trans you have to do per month. that new service square is about the same as paypal in terms of fees
I agree. In the past Ive had a brick and mortar shop and Ive sold at malls and Ive done antique shows. In every case my over head aka fees amounted to way more than the fees I pay Ebay. Also I have a much larger buying pool. Peeps in Idaho buy widgits nobody would look at twice around here.

Another FYI for the newbies. Dont worry so much about categories. Pick the most logical one.
What is most important is what you say in your title. You need to describe your item in the title so that your item will come up when a buyer does a search. For example if my title says Pair of Shoes I will be one of 10000. But if my title says Ladies Size 10 Brown 3 Inch Jimmy Choo Aligator Pumps I will get a lot more buyers attention. Most buyers dont search by category they search for what they want. If you dont have it in your title your gonna get bypassed. And forget about L@@K and WOW and all that crap. Save your spaces for describing your merch.

Also check your spelling. If my title said Jimmy Cho somebody looking for Jimmy Choo would never even see my listing. BTDT.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
You are right, as a pro seller, the overall fees could make a lot more sense which proves that eBay prefers and favors pro sellers over occasional sellers.
I do think it sucks if you are selling once in a blue moon. It would make more sense to charge more to those who sell as a merchant as it is a "business" to them but for someone who is selling a piece -may be- once a year or two, the fees seem a tad too high. eBay can and is making a ton of money from other venues anyhow so by keeping the fees to a minimum for casual/seldom sellers would bring more traffic and better rep to the brand, imho.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:19 AM

720 posts, read 3,006,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
You are right, as a pro seller, the overall fees could make a lot more sense which proves that eBay prefers and favors pro sellers over occasional sellers.
I do think it sucks if you are selling once in a blue moon. It would make more sense to charge more to those who sell as a merchant as it is a "business" to them but for someone who is selling a piece -may be- once a year or two, the fees seem a tad too high. eBay can and is making a ton of money from other venues anyhow so by keeping the fees to a minimum for casual/seldom sellers would bring more traffic and better rep to the brand, imho.
As with anything doing volume and being a repeat customer is going to get you preferential treatment. The guy selling some records he found in his basement can much more afford to take a loss than a business person who's working on small margins but selling volume. Ebay makes more off the heavy sellers thanthe occasional seller so they cater to the power sellers and top rated sellers.

I agree it kind of stinks in the sense you don't have smaller occasional sellers seling cool unique things its more people drop shipping the same crap from china.

Also, a guy with abox of records probably isn't going to go to the flea market or setup his own online store his option is probably take it to a record store or pawn shop and lose way more than the 15% ebay chargees.

People like to gripe about ebay fees me included but where else you going to get that large a market of people from all over the world as well as a merchant account service who will let you do as little or as much transactions through them with no commitment, no need to buy merchant service machines, etc

Old 06-28-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
People like to gripe about ebay fees me included but where else you going to get that large a market of people from all over the world as well as a merchant account service who will let you do as little or as much transactions through them with no commitment, no need to buy merchant service machines, etc
I know, that is why I evaluate an item that I want to sell to see if I'd be better off selling it at a garage sale or Craig'sList or eBay. For items that I know I can get a fair value and deal with local buyers which assures a more direct/prompt sale CL makes the most sense but yeah, nothing can come close to the size of the market eBay caters to which is why I think we need alternatives to those highly popular sites so there is less of a monopoly due to competition. eBay, CraigsList, Farcebook are a few I can think of right now that could use a good competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet