Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 07:26 AM

576 posts, read 993,869 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain to a complete novice, this whole concept of ditching cable tv for the internet tv?

And more specifically, would want to opt for the Netflix and Hulu option if one is really more apt, in their genres of entertainment towards, programming such as news junkie type things, CNN, FOX News, MSNBC, PBS, and we seem to really watch things like Discovery Channel, Nat Geo, The Travel Channel, etc.

Can't tell you when was the last time we actually paid for a movie to watch, other than maybe going to the Redbox and renting a movie to plug into the DVD here. So Netflix, ....???

Hulu, would it provide programming that I would really care to watch, in the end?

I would love nothing better than to tell the cable company to take a hike, they charge astronomical fees for the programming I watch (I don't have HBO or any of the other movie channels, see above, we don't really watch movies per se).

I just don't even understand the whole concept of watching tv over the net, and what it is that's even available, if it's even an option that someone like myself should consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 07:53 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quick overview:

If your cable bill is $100/month for service on one TV. Just the cable service.
If your internet bill is $30/mon.
Cancel the TV. Sign up for Netflix @ $9 and Hulu Plus for $10. Connect a quality antenna for local programs and you just cut your bill in half.
Of course you need a way to get HULU and NETFLIX on your TV. You can use: a laptop, a smart TV, an Xbox 360, a Roku box and other gadgets.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:46 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
I've looked into this a few times, but ultimately decided against it since the programing that I'm interested in isn't available on a time frame that I'm happy with.

Netflix and Hulu offer very different services IMO:

Netflix is closer to a very large video rental store, or Redbox, in that they have movies and entire seasons of TV shows, and have the same general availability as video stores or Redbox on DVD. Netflix also offers streaming video, but it's rarely anything new and the available titles often change. It's a great way to watch older stuff that you missed or want to watch again.

Hulu has both movies and TV shows but the movies tend to be more indie type rather than big name movies. I think the real benefit with them is TV Shows and most of them are available the day after the main network air date. The free version of Hulu has a smaller selection, and only keeps a few eppisodes available for watching. Hulu Plus (the pay version) has full seasons (and sometimes all seasons) available for the shows that they have, and I think offers a few more shows than the free version. Both versions have commercials in the shows.

The way that I've looked at this before is to look at the things that you really can't live without and see if you can get them some other way.

Most of the broadcast networks have their shows on the network website a day or two after they air, but only for a limited time. Most of them are also on Hulu.

Some of the cable networks (History, !E, O, etc) have their shown online, or on Hulu, but the list gets smaller, and some networks have pulled shows or decided not to stream newer seasons (FX has done this).

Most of the Premium channels (HBO, etc) don't make their shows available until they release on DVD.

You can go to Hulu and see all of the current networks here: Browse by Network - Hulu

You can check the networks that you are interested in for show availability. Make sure that you check the individual shows, since some are listed that only have clips available. You can also check the web site of the network for the shows you want.

The other variable is local programing (local news, etc). There are sites available to check signal location at your residence. There's a difference between the old analog broadcasts and the new digital ones. My mom used a tuner / antenna for many years, but lost one of the big 4 broadcast networks when they went digital.

You may also be able to get a very basic local cable package for almost free if you bundle it with your internet access (13 - 20 channels).

Of course you have to have a fast enough internet connection to handle the streaming, and if your ISP imposes a limit on the amount of data on your plan, then you may hit that limit if you stream a lot of HD.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:16 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
My DirecTV receiver died this week and so I am without cable TV until next Tues. This has forced me to get on my laptop and see what I can watch over the internet.

I've been able to load up 16 TV shows via Hulu that I enjoy watching. So far, that is working out really well. I like the way it will record each new episode of the series and just put them in my "queue"

There are several shows I like that are not available on Hulu. But I've been able to watch the episodes on the website for each show. Examples include Survivor and American Idol.

In my case, in order to convert over to using internet for TV as opposed to DirecTV, I would need to

a) buy a new TV as mine is too old and does not have the inputs needed

b) buy some type of device to connect to the TV, such as Roku (unless I buy a Smart TV)

c) change from using a 4G Broadband card on my laptop as my internet connection to the type that would allow me to connect to a Roku, Smart TV, etc.

So, at this point in time, it is not cost effective for me to make the switch. I don't want to spend the money on all the hardware that would be required.

When my TV dies, and I have to buy another one, that will be the point in time where I may consider jumping off from DirecTV to internet-based TV ....

the one thing I do like about DirecTV though is that I can just scroll through and see lots of different choices at any time. I might stumble onto a show that sounds interesting, watch a few minutes of it and then decide to keep watching. It seems that when using Hulu and Netflix, one would need to be a bit more intentional about what they watch, so not so good when you just want to be lazy.

I will say, though, that if I was someone who had to travel for a job, I would really enjoy having Hulu available on my laptop- and be able to watch a bunch of my favorite TV shows stored in my queue while I was waiting in an airport or somewhere else and needed to kill time. That would be really nice.

The Netflix website has a page that shows you all the ways you can stream to your TV, its quite helpful: https://signup.netflix.com/Watch?lnkctr=nmhiwca

Last edited by KittenSparkles; 03-03-2012 at 01:28 PM..

Old 03-03-2012, 06:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
By the timje you need a new TV its like as discussed that cable and dish will be in direct competition with Netflix and others. Bascaialy offering the same without need for internet connection at all. Its said thaComcast has already sadi ti will soon be offdering such selective progroming.;at for free to existing customers Netfix and time Warner seem to be getting very cozy also.The articles I read saif that netflix and others will be strapped at their margins to compete especailly as it will reach so many households without internet or other equipemnt needed.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:10 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
I ditched satellite service a couple of years ago. It was running around $100 a month and that is just absurd for tv programming in my opinion, especially when you are having to watch commercials that take up at least 20% of the air time. You are basically paying $20 a month to watch commercials and $80 a month to watch actual programming.

I put up an outdoor antenna to receive the networks and also get a number of independent channels that show re-runs and older movies. They are basically like TVLand, TCM and some of the channels that show movies from the 80's and 90's. We actually find ourselves watching these channels frequently now. For new cable tv shows, we stream them from the cable network sites, hulu and other sources. You usually don't get to see them during the broadcast time but we often recorded them on our sat receiver and watched them later when we had time anyway so there is really no difference in the time we watch cable tv shows.

We already had internet as most people do these days and would have it regardless of whether we wanted to stream tv shows or not so if you disregard the amount we pay for internet, we now spend absolutely nothing on tv service and we still see all the programming we did before.

You would be surprised how quickly you get used to it and forget about sat/cable once you ditch it. It was really no big deal for us at all. I actually prefer it now as I watch tv shows on my time whenever I get around to it instead of rushing home or working things around my favorite tv shows.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:45 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post
Can someone explain to a complete novice, this whole concept of ditching cable tv for the internet tv?

And more specifically, would want to opt for the Netflix and Hulu option if one is really more apt, in their genres of entertainment towards, programming such as news junkie type things, CNN, FOX News, MSNBC, PBS, and we seem to really watch things like Discovery Channel, Nat Geo, The Travel Channel, etc.

Can't tell you when was the last time we actually paid for a movie to watch, other than maybe going to the Redbox and renting a movie to plug into the DVD here. So Netflix, ....???

Hulu, would it provide programming that I would really care to watch, in the end?

I would love nothing better than to tell the cable company to take a hike, they charge astronomical fees for the programming I watch (I don't have HBO or any of the other movie channels, see above, we don't really watch movies per se).

I just don't even understand the whole concept of watching tv over the net, and what it is that's even available, if it's even an option that someone like myself should consider.
Some tips & hints from those that have ditched cable..........
CancelCable.com’s First Money Saving Gift Guide — CancelCable.com

Cancel Cable.com | Facebook

If a person is serious about ditching cable it can be done but only if you put everything on the table to leave cable.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:44 AM

576 posts, read 993,869 times
I appreciate all the informative replies.

Seems like, from what I'm able to garner from it all, my particular genre of what I like to watch, news junkie that I am, in real time, ........ the technology just hasn't yet caught up.

I'm actually a DirectTV subscriber, and I agree with the above poster who said they charge over $100 a month and it's astronomical when you consider the programming that I watch.

Hopefully things will evolve and improve and cable and sat companies will become a thing of the past, soon.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:28 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
I'm having similar thoughts.

My monthly cablevision bill is like 160 bucks, which includes a 49.99 for the internet. So, effectively I'm paying 110 for tv and it's outrageous coz I don't even watch it much, barring the times I play HBO or Fox News while pressing clothes or cooking.

I'm thinking of a Roku device and getting rid of cable. Can one watch Fox News and BBC news on Roku live? I'm guessing not.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:09 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
To both nnyl and Currency Pair Crocodile, anything is possible. It just takes time, research, a bit of cash and understanding. Okay, and some emotional pain.

I have a Roku so my perspective originates from there. Other DLNA (Roku, WD, Wii, Xbox), compliant devices may vary. Visit the Roku page to see the channels that are available. CNN comes to mind. WSJ, several international news stations. SOME of those channels will require additional monthly fees, such as Netflix, Hulu Plus... other.

I then subscribed to PlayON as an add on to my Roku (or other DLNA compliant device). PlayOn is a script based provider of almost ANY thing you can find on TV, PlayOn is an application that you would install on your (or other) PC and works as a server for that programming, see requirements at the link. PlayOn has some built in scripts (much like the Roku does). Once you understand the premise of PlayON, visit their scripts link to see other programming you can access, SOME of those links involve a one time fee to download.

After FREE TRIAL, PlayOn includes a one time subscription fee plus one year fee, then one year fee thereafter. Or, a one time life time fee.

The PlayOn scripts include a PREMIUM subscript of $10, not required. Some scripts have a $1 or $2 one time fee. But this is where everything changes.

PlayOn also has PlayLater - DVR type app - available. And with HULU (not Plus), movies and TV to your hearts content.

This is my setup. The only thing missing is local stations but I don't watch them anyway. Most local stations other than news are national broadcast and those are available through the PlayOn scripts... ANYTIME, day or night.

So, once you pay the $80 or so for the Roku, $40 ($20 annual) for the PlayOn and another $25 or so for scripts, you're free to go. Just be cautious of your internet provider and any streaming limits you may have. Using the above for about 4 hours a night is going to push a 150GB limit on internet download. So, an antenna for local broadcast may be worth the additional cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet