Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:41 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times

Advertisements

the title says it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 07:21 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,115,633 times
With a satellite dish. Either DirecTV or the Dish Network in the U.S.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:16 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
With a satellite dish. Either DirecTV or the Dish Network in the U.S.
Okay, you're correct. I should have said without cable or satellite.

I'm interested in streaming hbo etc - and willing to pay for it. Is it available?

Old 04-18-2012, 02:03 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,847,869 times
About the only way, would be to get a ROKU or similar black box, that can stream.
If you wait long enough, more and more channels will be available via ROKU.
Lots of *free* channels also.
Roku Channel Store | Netflix, Amazon Video On Demand, Hulu Plus & More on Roku Streaming Player

Unlike cable or Satellite, just a one time payment for the black box, and then you choose ...

What I like to know is how to watch the other channels I have on ROKU, on my laptop.
To get Netflix, you need to sign up via your computer, and then you can watch Netflix on the ROKU box, or on your laptop.
Adding channels like Crackle for instance, can (as far as I figured out) only be watched via the ROKU box.
So when I am on the road, I *have to* take my ROKU box with me. If anybody has a way to watch other channels available on ROKU, I would appreciate the tips or tricks to do so.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:17 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,643,570 times
I've gone through this somewhat, and as far as I can tell, no. I wouldn't mind being able to pay to stream HBO shows, but they don't offer it. I don't really want to subscribe to HBO the channel because I'm not likely to watch shows at their real air time anymore (sometimes, but not too often now).

You can buy individual episodes via iTunes or a couple others services. Not sure if this happens during the current season or only after the DVDs come out.

Old enough stuff you can stream from Netflix if I remember right. But that would be post-DVD release, after a complete season is over.

This kind of thing is what keeps me watching very little TV. It's just not that important. I watch a couple of things on the old broadcast channels. If I watch them at their real times, I pull the channels in via antenna. Otherwise I use their web sites or Hulu.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:49 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,209,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Okay, you're correct. I should have said without cable or satellite.

I'm interested in streaming hbo etc - and willing to pay for it. Is it available?
Probably not. Even with Roku... even with a PlayOn script, there is an HBO account required. There is a place to enter that account info which is then used to verify an account.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
At this time, neither HBO nor Showtime allow subscription to their streaming services without a cable or dish subscription.

In addition to the channels in the Channel Store, Roku allows access to private channels, which are provided by third parties. Here's a list of private channels.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:03 AM

349 posts, read 616,019 times
The only thing I can think of is downloading from iTunes, but I don't know of any service that you can stream from without paying out the butt for.

I'd like to know, though... as I hardly ever watch TV, but love HBO's programming. I'm finding it hard to pay the high price of cable + HBO every month.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:23 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,659,731 times
I sure wish this would happen. We have an HBO app on our smart TV and I would be willing to pay to use that without having an HBO subscription.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:47 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,320 times
What if you are outside the U.S. and want to watch your regular daytime programs, like Dr. Oz or primetime shows on ABC, NBC,CBS? I am going to be living in a small European country for a year and I am trying to find a solution to find these channels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet