Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:30 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
6MB isn't enough to consistently stream HD content. Since your internet connection is going to become your primary source of televised entertainment, go with at least 10MB.
No, it should be fine. I have monitored my real-time bandwidth usage (w/DD-WRT) while streaming HD movies, and it never exceeds 6 Meg. Probably averages 2 -3 Mbps as the traffic is bursty as it buffers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
6MB is extremely fast. I have Comcast and get about half of that.
Is Comcast DSL? (I'm thinking it's cable)

The minimum speed that Charter offers is 15/3.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:14 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
No, it should be fine. I have monitored my real-time bandwidth usage (w/DD-WRT) while streaming HD movies, and it never exceeds 6 Meg. Probably averages 2 -3 Mbps as the traffic is bursty as it buffers.
Whereas I could never get consistent HD streaming content until I bumped up from 6 to 12, so I don't know what to tell ya.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:22 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Whereas I could never get consistent HD streaming content until I bumped up from 6 to 12, so I don't know what to tell ya.
There are several factors besides speed that could have been the issue (or still is the issue and you don't know/realize it).

Old 05-22-2012, 01:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Is Comcast DSL? (I'm thinking it's cable)

The minimum speed that Charter offers is 15/3.
Comcast is cable. The 15/3 that Charter offers is 15Mb. The OP is discussing 6MB of bandwidth. 15Mb is 1.875MB of bandwidth.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Depends on what you're streaming. It's actually very easy to compare because the both video and your ISP speed is given as a data rate. For example your Comcast plan is 6Mbps. Here's some typical video data rates, approximate values:

Youtube : .5Mbps to 1Mbps
DVD quality: 1.5Mbps to 2Mbps
"hd" quality: 4mbps + *
True HD on bluray: 25Mbps

*You're going to get varying speed for "hd", that's probably about the minimum and I believe most of these services test your speed and will stream what is appropriate. The other thing to keep in mind is not a whole lot of services offer really high bitrate video to begin with.
There's some confusion here. The OP said their comcast plan is 6MBps. Not 6Mbps. Big difference in speed.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:23 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
There's some confusion here. The OP said their comcast plan is 6MBps. Not 6Mbps. Big difference in speed.
Except I have Comcast and know it's 6Mbps. Besides that how many IPS's give speeds in bytes?

Old 05-22-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Comcast is cable. The 15/3 that Charter offers is 15Mb. The OP is discussing 6MB of bandwidth. 15Mb is 1.875MB of bandwidth.
You realize that a novice is asking for advice, and you go off on such a tanget. Are you trying to be a typo Nazi because they typed MB instead of Mb when they probably don't understand the difference?

ISP advertize speed in Mbps, and common sense says they are asking about options they see advertized.

What was your point with posting this;
Quote:
6MB is extremely fast. I have Comcast and get about half of that.
because that is blatantly perhaps even deliberately misleading to the novices that merely come here to ask for help or advice.

Are you trying to impress a few that you know the difference between B and b (big whoop), or deliberately misleading the OP who is merely asking for a little advice?

Old 05-22-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
but you know damn well that is not what the OP meant.

You proved that when I said I have 15/3 and you knew that I meant Mbps, as bit is standard when talking about transfer speeds and bytes for storage capacity.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
You realize that a novice is asking for advice, and you go off on such a tanget. Are you trying to be a typo Nazi because they typed MB instead of Mb when they probably don't understand the difference?

ISP advertize speed in Mbps, and common sense says they are asking about options they see advertized.

What was your point with posting this; because that is blatantly perhaps even deliberately misleading to the novices that merely come here to ask for help or advice.

Are you trying to impress a few that you know the difference between B and b (big whoop), or deliberately misleading the OP who is merely asking for a little advice?
Quote:
but you know damn well that is not what the OP meant.

You proved that when I said I have 15/3 and you knew that I meant Mbps, as bit is standard when talking about transfer speeds and bytes for storage capacity.
I didn't realize that people didn't know the difference. I suppose this would be a good time to point out to the OP and other folks the difference to avoid confusion.

What's with your attitude? I don't work in advertising so I don't know how ISPs advertise. I know the products and their speeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet