Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 12:41 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times

Advertisements

Just got this in my inbox, are people really that stupid to respond to it?

Quote:
Hello

Two years ago I prayed to God for some things and I made vow of money to the lord to back it up the amount is $700. To the glory of God I have achieved everything that prayed on that day but as of my vow of money that I made two years ago was ready in my account last week Sunday but my pastor told me not to drop it the church or give it to anyone around me or anyone that I know, he added to it that the people to receive this money should be people that I never knew so I copied some e-mails on the internet which includes your own to ask if you want this money, please send the below information to so I can send a check of $700 to you .

Send Full names and delivery address that will be on the check and phone #
Great English BTW...

From email address? -- jean.mcgowan@aol.com

Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of inicees@ns7.refineriaweb.com designates 80.91.80.193 as permitted sender) client-ip=80.91.80.193;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of inicees@ns7.refineriaweb.com designates 80.91.80.193 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=inicees@ns7.refineriaweb.com Received: from inicees by ns7.refineriaweb.com with local (Exim 4.77)

[CENTER]Geolocation data from IP2Location (Product: DB4)[/CENTER]

IP AddressCountryRegionCityISP
80.91.80.193United Kingdom--Cogent Communications Group Inc
[CENTER]Google Map for -, -, UNITED KINGDOM (New window)
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Geolocation data from IPligence (Product: Max)[/CENTER]

IP AddressCountryRegionCityISP
80.91.80.193SpainCadiz
Estrategias Website
ContinentLatitudeLongitudeTime Zone
Europe40.380028-3.076172GMT+1
[CENTER]Google Map for , CADIZ, SPAIN (New window)
[/CENTER]

Registry Information for 80.91.80.193

Last edited by plwhit; 05-24-2012 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 6,603 times
I responded to it and even got a check via Fed Ex but but will not go through the trouble "she" wanted me to go through to send some "cancer patient" a bunch of money to some address through Western Union. I googled her name and discovered to no surprise that many others received the same e-mail. I am not stupid but I'm desperate for money at this point in time. I am facing eviction and have two young boys to support and being a single mother, people turn desperate. But ... this is an obvious scan. I am not cashing the check on Monday. She wanted me to put it directly into my bank account. but then deduct 300 from it and send the rest to this cancer patient and give her the info from the western union. I don't know but it sounds fishy. I want the whole damn check for $1957 because i know it would help me and my family.
I hope this person gets what they deserve and stop taking advantage of vulnerable people.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:03 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,967,175 times
I see emails like this all the time in my old email boxes. Stuff ranging from "You've won the UK Lottery!" to "Please help I am a soldier in Iraq, and I need to send this money home to my family." I have even seen ones that are supposed to be from Interpol and the FBI regarding a lump sum of money that I have inherited from whatever relative I have that "passed away" in South Africa.

The ones I love the most is when the same sender sends both the lottery winnings and soldier sob story at the same time.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:21 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,388,053 times
"GOD" is a great PR/Sales ploy, always has been.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:35 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
That scam doesn't seem too funny to me.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:16 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasblue72 View Post
I responded to it and even got a check via Fed Ex but but will not go through the trouble "she" wanted me to go through to send some "cancer patient" a bunch of money to some address through Western Union. I googled her name and discovered to no surprise that many others received the same e-mail. I am not stupid but I'm desperate for money at this point in time. I am facing eviction and have two young boys to support and being a single mother, people turn desperate. But ... this is an obvious scan. I am not cashing the check on Monday. She wanted me to put it directly into my bank account. but then deduct 300 from it and send the rest to this cancer patient and give her the info from the western union. I don't know but it sounds fishy. I want the whole damn check for $1957 because i know it would help me and my family.
I hope this person gets what they deserve and stop taking advantage of vulnerable people.
Gullible much?

Old 08-14-2012, 09:52 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Gullible much?
You would be surprised at who can get sucked into these scams. I've had to explain these and other pranks to dozens of people, including a couple of my bosses, and otherwise sensible folks. It isn't just silly stuff like this. Listen to politicians and they will whinge about how social security and medicare will bankrupt the U.S. and the world will come to an end and we need to do something now. Then take a look at the Federal Budget and the dollar figures for outdated programs like ultra-expensive fighter aircraft. A couple of shot down fighters that could have been replaced by large numbers of drones, could fund those social programs for quite a while, however, the jet jock mentality and existing pig troughs keep the money flowing. The scams and lies come at us from all angles all the time. We ALL have a level of gullibility, and to the extent that we don't, we get really really depressed about humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet