Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 10:02 AM

858 posts, read 2,993,425 times

Advertisements

Just signed up with Comcast Internet and they provided an Aris Cable Modem and a Netgear WNR100 Router. They were supposed to install a single unit cable modem & router, but the installer didn't have it on the truck.

Before I call Comcast and ask them to send a single unit, can any of you more experienced folks tell me if a seperate Modem and Router is any better than a Combined Gateway Modem/Router Unit?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 10:23 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Doesn't matter, it all works the same, so there would be no difference in function, features, speed, etc.

The difference is in having 2 separate boxes and 2 things to plug in, vs. 1.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:25 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
For most people, it doesn't matter. If you want things like gigabit ethernet, go separate.

Also look into purchasing a modem/router from somewhere like Newegg. In the end it's cheaper than paying a monthly rental.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
For most people, it doesn't matter. If you want things like gigabit ethernet, go separate.

Also look into purchasing a modem/router from somewhere like Newegg. In the end it's cheaper than paying a monthly rental.
^^^ Yea that

Most ISPs charge $7+ a month 'rental' and the payback of owning your own modem/router is about a year.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:21 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
^^^ Yea that

Most ISPs charge $7+ a month 'rental' and the payback of owning your own modem/router is about a year.
Until the modem or router dies and you get to go buy a new one. In that case, renting the equipment is a better investment, since if it dies you just run over to the cable office and get a new one.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:07 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
I prefer separate, but it really is a matter of choice.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Until the modem or router dies and you get to go buy a new one. In that case, renting the equipment is a better investment, since if it dies you just run over to the cable office and get a new one.
The first cable modem I had lasted 10 years, the one I have now has been in use for almost 3 years. 10 years at $7/month = total lease cost of $840. A new modem about $90. The math is straight forward. At this rate I could order another one to have on hand as a cold spare and still be ahead of the game.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:24 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
The math is straight forward. At this rate I could order another one to have on hand as a cold spare and still be ahead of the game.
Dollar wise you are correct But time loss is another item to contend with. With a rental, one can usually drive to the nearby office and trade it out within an hour and the MAC address is already in the system. The other option to own it requires one to go out shopping and spend a few hours to go and buy a new one. Then come home wire it up, call your cable company, wait on hold for support in India to pickup (because you know the setup will happen at night), give them your new MAC address and then be told it may take a few hours to upload the change. So time is also a consideration.

BTW how many people actually keep a spare cable modem or spare router just sitting around?

Old 06-11-2012, 11:20 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
My experience with comcast is that I call them up, give them the MAC address, and it's working before I even hang up the phone. Whole process takes maybe five minutes. Router replacement is probably more time consuming than modem replacement, since you need to set up the SSID, password, etc.

Renting is a massive ripoff, and if it happens to break (which I've never actually seen happen), I'd rather spend $50 buying a new one at the store than have to trek all the way to the local Comcast office, which is inconveniently located and has crappy hours. And I get the bonus of having hundreds of extra dollars in my bank account.
Quote:
A new modem about $90.
Actually even cheaper if you'll settle for an older model. I still have my modem that I bought ~6 years ago. No trouble pulling down 24 Mbps. It retails for about $55.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:53 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Dollar wise you are correct But time loss is another item to contend with. With a rental, one can usually drive to the nearby office and trade it out within an hour and the MAC address is already in the system. The other option to own it requires one to go out shopping and spend a few hours to go and buy a new one. Then come home wire it up, call your cable company, wait on hold for support in India to pickup (because you know the setup will happen at night), give them your new MAC address and then be told it may take a few hours to upload the change. So time is also a consideration.

BTW how many people actually keep a spare cable modem or spare router just sitting around?
A few hours? Took me 30 minutes (including driving to the store and back) to buy a modem. It took less than 10 minutes to get it functioning. That's less than an hour. The wires were simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet