Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 03:31 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,716,666 times

Advertisements

Some idiot was using THIER WIFI and made threats on [domain blocked due to spam].com........

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48018051

This is really sad.... You would think THEY WOULD FIRST CHECK THINGS OUT BEFORE STORMING IN LIKE THEY KNOW FOR SURE IT WAS DONE THERE!! (Its very scary how they act)

Is there anyway to find who did it??

Maybe check the logs of thier router and get the ID of the device that was connected and go from there??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 06:15 PM

939 posts, read 3,378,734 times
There is really no way the cops would know if this was done over wifi.

The moral of the story is that you need to secure your wifi.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:13 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,435,199 times
First, if I connect to an unsecured router with a wireless device, then leave, it is not logged on the router and there is no way to identify me, or that I was ever connected.

Second, even if the router owner happens to look at the MAC table and captures my MAC address, or somehow logs it , so what. The only thing that could be determined is what company manufactured my wireless adapter.

But what makes the above points trivial is the fact that this goon squad trashed our constitution, thanks to 9/11, a country full of surrender monkeys and things like the patriot act.

Secure your WiFi before it becomes illegal to hide what you may be doing (by using encryption) from the guberment, and hope that the goon squad can tell the difference between Maple St, Maple Lane, Maple Rd, and Maple Ave.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:56 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,451,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillager View Post
There is really no way the cops would know if this was done over wifi.

The moral of the story is that you need to secure your wifi.
Very, very true. Securing the router would have almost certainly prevented the raid. It's theoretically possible to crack the key for the router, but the vast majority of hackers are going to simply look for someone else who did not think to secure their network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
First, if I connect to an unsecured router with a wireless device, then leave, it is not logged on the router and there is no way to identify me, or that I was ever connected.

Second, even if the router owner happens to look at the MAC table and captures my MAC address, or somehow logs it , so what. The only thing that could be determined is what company manufactured my wireless adapter. . .
Well, if the police managed to get a hold of the device that was connected to the network, they could prove that the device was used on the network. Granted, they have to know where to look for the device. If they do not know where to look, they essentially have a fingerprint that cannot be matched. If the thief really wanted to cover his/her tracks, a fake MAC address could always be used, if he/she knew how to spoof the address. Furthermore, if the wireless adapter is built-in to a device at the factory, the manufacturer of the device might be able to determine the serial number for the device, from teh MAC address, thereby making it a little easier to track.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
Very, very true. Securing the router would have almost certainly prevented the raid. It's theoretically possible to crack the key for the router, but the vast majority of hackers are going to simply look for someone else who did not think to secure their network.
Yep, they will go after the low hanging fruit, those too lazy or clueless to secure their wireless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
Well, if the police managed to get a hold of the device that was connected to the network, they could prove that the device was used on the network. Granted, they have to know where to look for the device. If they do not know where to look, they essentially have a fingerprint that cannot be matched. If the thief really wanted to cover his/her tracks, a fake MAC address could always be used, if he/she knew how to spoof the address. Furthermore, if the wireless adapter is built-in to a device at the factory, the manufacturer of the device might be able to determine the serial number for the device, from teh MAC address, thereby making it a little easier to track.
Kinda like DNA, they have to get a sample before the link can be made. Except in this case, the DNA (MAC) can easily be spoofed.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:28 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,716,666 times
Ya i guess there is no way to 100% say someone did it!! (Unless they had temp files on thier drive with sites they went to,etc)

Old 07-04-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Ya i guess there is no way to 100% say someone did it!! (Unless they had temp files on thier drive with sites they went to,etc)
Or deleted files that could be recovered, or traces from the slack space in sectors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet