Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 02:41 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times

Advertisements

I downloaded and installed JWPlayer - works fine on one computer but not the host, can only play flv on android, and has to call home to jwpcdn.com for authentication (for Android use?), which means it has to have a connection to pappa internet and can't run otherwise. Tried flv player and even though I have everything exact according to numerous references, it won't load the video or start image.

Am I stuck with workarounds and JWPlayer, or is there another free open source player (that doesn't call home) I should look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 07:06 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Harry, can;t you just use HTML5? Should work with any newer browser or device. This is going to be the standard soon.

HTML5 Video

Old 07-29-2013, 07:51 PM

Not sure. Went to the page and ran the video on it with FF, with look-at-net in the background. There were a few instances of secure certificates responses from Google and Equifax. I want to make sure this works with a local apache webserver if the net is down. Guess I'll just write a page or two. Have to figure out how to do a que of videos in 5 though. Oh well. Getting lazy in my old age.

edit to add: Doesn't look good. video works with mp4 in IE but not FF, IE has to be 9+, I have 8 on XP. FF supports the rarely seen OGG and I'm not about to go converting my files yet again. (Had to go into settings on IE as use of video was checked as off by default anyway.)

Last edited by harry chickpea; 07-29-2013 at 08:14 PM..

Old 07-30-2013, 01:43 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Have you looked at VLC? Been using it for years:

VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!

Old 07-30-2013, 06:52 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
There were a few instances of secure certificates responses from Google and Equifax.
From the link I gave you? Shouldn't have anything to do with the video, it's just as simple as placing an image in page.

Quote:
edit to add: Doesn't look good. video works with mp4 in IE but not FF, IE has to be 9+, I have 8 on XP. FF supports the rarely seen OGG and I'm not about to go converting my files yet again. (Had to go into settings on IE as use of video was checked as off by default anyway.)
If you want to mess around with it you can use Virtualdub for batch processing. Just be sure you are going back to the source for conversion.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:16 AM

plwhit -THANKS! will be checking that out today. From the info on the page it looks like it is exactly what I want.

coalman - the only thing running when those certificates came up was the video on that HTML5 page. I am suspecting a possibility of DRM and tracking soon to be a part of viewing video on the web. I can see why it would be sought after by a number of groups and law enforcement.

Here is the thing for me - although I am a little paranoid, I am much more concerned about all of the things that want to claim my limited 10 gig of bandwidth per month over a satellite feed. We got a couple of Android pads and I'm getting to see firsthand the serious degradation in speed of the same websites when ads load, and note that our daily use of bandwidth has more than doubled. I'm not aware of anything I can add to the pads to limit such behavior. In addition to limiting use of those pads, I'm looking closely at everything going in or out. Even with no-script and ad block +, when I added the "Disconnect" plug-in to FF, I'm seeing numbers - sometimes insane numbers - of tracking requests. I don't need to have even a miniscule increase in use of bandwidth when I'm watching a video on my own d* computer. It ticks me off to realize the numbers of ways things have been subverted.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:07 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
We got a couple of Android pads and I'm getting to see firsthand the serious degradation in speed of the same websites when ads load, and note that our daily use of bandwidth has more than doubled. I'm not aware of anything I can add to the pads to limit such behavior.
You might look at FF or Chrome for Android. I know that FF for Android has Ad Block Plus available.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
You might look at FF or Chrome for Android. I know that FF for Android has Ad Block Plus available.
Thanks. That is a big start. Overall, I'm less than blown away by the Android OS, but it is adequate and with patches like ad-block + I might be more happy.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:46 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
Thanks. That is a big start. Overall, I'm less than blown away by the Android OS, but it is adequate and with patches like ad-block + I might be more happy.
Turns out there is also Adblock Plus for Android, so it blocks all adds at the OS level:

https://adblockplus.org/en/android-about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet