Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 10:42 AM

3,920 posts, read 6,835,417 times

Advertisements

So my cousin's internet service was cut last week due to him torrenting movies. I was wondering what is being used to flag IP Addresses that are involved? How do the ISP's know you are downloading copy written material? What about non-copyrighted material? A buddy said you can scramble your IP but I believe that wouldn't work since its only your computers IP Address and not your household IP Address. Is there any truth to his theory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Six Strikes is now in Place: What you Need to Know

The message in the article is don't fight it, adjust your behavior.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:55 AM

3,920 posts, read 6,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Six Strikes is now in Place: What you Need to Know

The message in the article is don't fight it, adjust your behavior.
Thank you for the link. I agree that the easiest way to prevent it is to responsibly download legal content. It doesn't mean I have to agree to the act though. This act scares me frankly. The fact that they can censor you at all is very unnerving to me. I don't pirate too much these days, but back in my day I certainly did. All of my music is mostly from Spotify and I watch my movies via Amazon Prime or On Demand.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
The good thing is that ISPs are not monitoring your traffic to determine whether you are pirating or not. You have to be caught in the act by the mpaa/riaa. They will then report you to the ISP.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:07 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
No you can't scramble your IP address, it's not a dozen eggs.
There are proxy services that can be used, but they don't scramble anything.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
It doesn't mean I have to agree to the act though. This act scares me frankly. The fact that they can censor you at all is very unnerving to me. I don't pirate too much these days, but back in my day I certainly did.
IMO, it's not "censorship," it's an anti-theft measure. No one that I know of avoids shopping at discount stores because they use security cameras to watch customers and security tags on the merchandise that set off alarms when unpaid merchandise leaves the store. Six Strikes is the same thing, only you get six chances to give up stealing!

I've been involved in the production of intellectual property that sold for money. While doing that work, I and my bosses would not have been happy to know that people were stealing the content we produced.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:14 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
So my cousin's internet service was cut last week due to him torrenting movies. I was wondering what is being used to flag IP Addresses that are involved? How do the ISP's know you are downloading copy written material? What about non-copyrighted material? A buddy said you can scramble your IP but I believe that wouldn't work since its only your computers IP Address and not your household IP Address. Is there any truth to his theory?
As I mentioned in another thread of this nature if you can afford a computer and the bandwidth to download copyrighted material (AKA movies) you can afford to buy the copyrighted material...

Old 03-05-2013, 02:51 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest
The good thing is that ISPs are not monitoring your traffic to determine whether you are pirating or not.
Yes i believe they are being forced into this.. They probably could care less what someone does... (Unless it puts thier network @ risk)

Old 03-05-2013, 06:17 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes i believe they are being forced into this.. They probably could care less what someone does... (Unless it puts thier network @ risk)
They aren't being forced into it, streaming is becoming a huge money maker whether it's over the internet or On Demand. Pirating is going to cut into the cable companies profits.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:24 PM

19,706 posts, read 20,240,448 times
If you don't use Verizon, Comcast, AT&T, Cablevision, or Time Warner, I guess you'll be ok...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet