Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 07:37 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Not I.

I've never gone anywhere near Yahoo, Hotmail or AOL. It's a mystery to me why folks ever choose them.
Really? You don't understand why people have Yahoo? I don't understand you not understanding that. Who is your email through?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 08:58 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Yahoo is my junk mail account... I check it every few weeks or so.
I have my own domain, as well as a gmail account for my daily correspondence.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:31 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Really? You don't understand why people have Yahoo? I don't understand you not understanding that. Who is your email through?
Sonic.net has been my ISP since I went online in 1994. I've always used an email client as opposed to anything online. For years it was Eudora, which I dearly loved. Now I'm using Mail on my iMac/iPhone.

I get it that people use Yahoo because it's "free", but I don't get why they are willing to deal with all the ads, the cluttered GUI, the lack of security, and why they don't want their own email to live in their computers.

Guess it's all personal preference, and I don't mind stating mine.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:41 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
I only use Yahoo e-mail for things to register for things that are worthless to me. CD, for example.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:11 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
I almost never go into my Yahoo account on my computer anymore. My email gets pushed to my phone, so no reason to sign in all of the time.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
What's so bad about Yahoo? (I guess I should duck for cover.) I've used it since around 1995 and have never had any problems until lately. Now the format is constantly changing and it's getting annoying but that's only recently. I had Eudora too, a looong time ago. I use hotmail also.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:33 PM

168 posts, read 335,587 times
I use yahoo email, started back in 2003 and I have never had a problem with regards to anything.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:58 PM

542 posts, read 691,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
There's a tab that blocks the icon that I have to click in order to send the email. It is like a folded paper airplane, and it is behind a tab that says, "new message". Guess I'm just going to have to change email. I've repeatedly asked them to fix it but to no avail.
Can you get a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Once you've composed the message you can hit CTRL + ENTER to send it. (Or CTRL + S to save as a draft).

Old 03-14-2013, 07:39 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Sonic.net has been my ISP since I went online in 1994. I've always used an email client as opposed to anything online. For years it was Eudora, which I dearly loved. Now I'm using Mail on my iMac/iPhone.
Few people have had the same ISP for 15+ years.
In the "old days" if you dropped your ISP you would lose your email address. This is still true on smaller ISP's, but the big boys (Time Warner, Comcast, ATT who now uses Yahoo) don't make you give it up. But back in the day? It was frustrating for people. "I need to make another new email address??? UGH!"
But now we don't have to stay tied to an ISP. We can switch willy nilly with no regard for our email address.
We can have Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook.com and have the same email address for our entire life.

Quote:
I get it that people use Yahoo because it's "free", but I don't get why they are willing to deal with all the ads, the cluttered GUI, the lack of security, and why they don't want their own email to live in their computers.
Do you really think FREE is the reason? It's not. It certainly helps, of course, and I am sure we wouldn't use it as much if it wasn't free. But how about the ability to get to your email from anywhere in the world. From NYC to a mountaintop in Nepal, I can login and get my email.
What about the ability to perform a search through 5 years and 10 GB's of email in seconds? instantly.
No email client, not even the venerable Outlook, can do it that fast.

Oh, and here's a tip: *You can still use an email client with Yahoo*.

Quote:
Guess it's all personal preference, and I don't mind stating mine.
That's what makes this place so great.
Cheers!

Old 03-14-2013, 07:46 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Few people have had the same ISP for 15+ years.
In the "old days" if you dropped your ISP you would lose your email address. This is still true on smaller ISP's, but the big boys (Time Warner, Comcast, ATT who now uses Yahoo) don't make you give it up. But back in the day? It was frustrating for people. "I need to make another new email address??? UGH!"
But now we don't have to stay tied to an ISP. We can switch willy nilly with no regard for our email address.
We can have Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook.com and have the same email address for our entire life.
Yeah, they do make you give it up. I was with Comcast until I moved to NC and while it wasn't immediate, Comcast did deactivate my email account a few weeks after closing my ISP account. Hated that, because it was my main account that I used for all my business transactions and emailing close friends. The Road Runner based email that TWC uses is pretty atrocious. Half the time, it won't let me into my email, and after awhile, I just gave up trying to force myself into using a new email account. So, I just decided to make my existing Gmail account my main account since I have it tied to everything anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet