Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 09:57 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I don't think there's any such thing...perusing the forums, and posting something you believe is right and true, but not popular, can have you labelled a troll...I think ALL opinions are worth reading.
Not sure if you're trolling us with that statement or not....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 04:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Actually, I personally know a troll, who has admitted to me what he does on line. He also loves to harass employees in stores where he shops, and can spend hours on 800-numbers harassing any live person he can entice to come to the phone.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:47 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
The ones that upset me are those that respond to tragic news stories using FB or some other ID. I just wrote a rather long letter to a TV station in Minneapolis asking them to disable comments on tragic news stories. Of course they probably won't pay any attention. I do know some news sources do disable comments on certain kinds of stories. Families will often read the local news sources stories on the incident. It's not right that some gutless punk hiding behind a screen should be allowed to hurt them further.

On this site there are trolls and from what I've seen nothing is done to them. They can call others names, have volumes of posts with nothing kind to say about anyone and only trying to stir the pot and still it goes on despite reporting them. What's their thrill? To get attention, to get away with it as long as possible, and to get people upset.

I would say all opinions are not worth reading. If they are sick and twisted they are not only not worth reading but the party should be banned spewing such rubbish. Jtur88, that person you know must be some piece of work.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:22 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,743,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
The ones that upset me are those that respond to tragic news stories using FB or some other ID. I just wrote a rather long letter to a TV station in Minneapolis asking them to disable comments on tragic news stories. Of course they probably won't pay any attention. I do know some news sources do disable comments on certain kinds of stories. Families will often read the local news sources stories on the incident. It's not right that some gutless punk hiding behind a screen should be allowed to hurt them further.

On this site there are trolls and from what I've seen nothing is done to them. They can call others names, have volumes of posts with nothing kind to say about anyone and only trying to stir the pot and still it goes on despite reporting them. What's their thrill? To get attention, to get away with it as long as possible, and to get people upset.

I would say all opinions are not worth reading. If they are sick and twisted they are not only not worth reading but the party should be banned spewing such rubbish. Jtur88, that person you know must be some piece of work.
They are the worst.

I really hope family members who are hit by those tragedies don't happen across their comments on those news stories.

Some news sites will allow you to hide or down-rep comments, which help to self-moderated some, but that is not enough. They need to find a way to disable the regular trolls to make the comments feature usable.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:42 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,460,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
They are the worst.

I really hope family members who are hit by those tragedies don't happen across their comments on those news stories.

Some news sites will allow you to hide or down-rep comments, which help to self-moderated some, but that is not enough. They need to find a way to disable the regular trolls to make the comments feature usable.
Agreed. One of our local newspapers stopped allowing comments on articles about recent arrests, which was a good thing. Presumption of innocence was not a common trait with people who decided to speak their mind.

The only way to effectively curb trolling is effective, and quick moderation by humans (ideally before the post is published.)

Old 03-25-2013, 11:51 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,743,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
Agreed. One of our local newspapers stopped allowing comments on articles about recent arrests, which was a good thing. Presumption of innocence was not a common trait with people who decided to speak their mind.

The only way to effectively curb trolling is effective, and quick moderation by humans (ideally before the post is published.)
LOL, so true. There was a comment this morning (as there are everyday) in one of our local San Diego news sites like that. Seems that everyone who is even arrested for anything needs to be publicly hanged, according to the web mob.

It is unfortunate that these outlets need to disable all comments because there are some good, altruistic comments in there as well.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:00 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
It really seems a good number of the ones that comment to the online newspapers are trolls. the NY Daily News has a loyal bunch of idiots and racists of all colors. But they aren't banned. It happens in a lot of places. If people couldn't post anonymously, say if they had to use the email given by their internet carrier, they might not be so quick to spew such mean spirited things. Monitoring ones IP doesn't work so well due to people using proxies. As it is, the twisted nit-wits get a charge out being vile and heartless. The websites solution is advising posters block people offensive to them. You can remove the comment from your site, but thats after people see it and the damage is done. And reporting it to Facebook does no good either. Amazing the terrible things that have pbeen posted there taunting others.

That story I mentioned from Minneapolis, a cousin saw the comments and was quite upset. In another story where a 15 year old girl was murdered in NY city, some terrible comments were made and the family saw them. If the comment section can not be monitored then in stories like that it should be disabled. Too bad one would have to do that, it says something about how inhumane humans can be. The NY Daily News and the Post are terrible papers really. You could find high school kids running a school newspaper that could do a better job of putting together stories and proofing their work. It's amazing how many mistakes they make and these are suppose to be professionals.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:11 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,302 times
Trolling is an art.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:26 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
What do people get out of trolling a forum?
What is "trolling"?

That question needs a hard definition in order to understand what makes this type of person tick.

So far no one has been able to tell me exactly what a troll is except for their opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet