Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 01:48 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,465,766 times

Advertisements

Anybody here use VPN services?

I found out about ProXPN from listening to Tech News Today (TWIT) and figured I'd try them out. So far, I'm pretty impressed. The speeds are amazing, my IP address is masked, and all of my data is encrypted. I got 20% off of the annual price - paid around $60/year for it. Wasn't too bad of a price for a little peace of mind. I got it more because I'm becoming more and more paranoid with web surfing - especially doing online banking! I'm not really into torrents, but supposedly this VPN works with Bittorrent and uTorrent - but only if you use the premium service.

It's also supposed to work with the iPad, iPhone, Android stuff....haven't tried it on those items yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 08:57 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Your data is only encrypted between you and the VPN provider. Once it leaves the VPN provider it is no longer encrypted (unless using SSL or similar). VPN service will mask you as the user but it won't make banking any safer.

I VPN into my home whenever I use public internet.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:10 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Lemmie guess... they got a credit card and where you live. Assuming that that goes right to the NSA, along with the backdoor to their service, just what did you get for your $60? I like Leo as well, but seriously.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:44 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Anybody here use VPN services?

I found out about ProXPN from listening to Tech News Today (TWIT) and figured I'd try them out. So far, I'm pretty impressed. The speeds are amazing, my IP address is masked, and all of my data is encrypted. I got 20% off of the annual price - paid around $60/year for it. Wasn't too bad of a price for a little peace of mind. I got it more because I'm becoming more and more paranoid with web surfing - especially doing online banking! I'm not really into torrents, but supposedly this VPN works with Bittorrent and uTorrent - but only if you use the premium service.

It's also supposed to work with the iPad, iPhone, Android stuff....haven't tried it on those items yet.
What are you 'paranoid' about? What extra security do you think you're getting by using a proxy'd VPN for OLB? Bank's already use encryption to provide confidentiality of your data in transit....

Unless there are more requirements that you didn't' disclose, I think that piece of mind may be had for less than $60 through better understanding of what the threats are.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
What are you 'paranoid' about? What extra security do you think you're getting by using a proxy'd VPN for OLB? Bank's already use encryption to provide confidentiality of your data in transit....

Unless there are more requirements that you didn't' disclose, I think that piece of mind may be had for less than $60 through better understanding of what the threats are.
I didn't say this was solely for online banking. Why not use a VPN service?

OK, give me your ideas on what is cheaper and offers as much security AND is easily installed and configured.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Lemmie guess... they got a credit card and where you live. Assuming that that goes right to the NSA, along with the backdoor to their service, just what did you get for your $60? I like Leo as well, but seriously.
Steve Gibson has sung ProXPN's praises as well. Do you not think Gibson would look at these VPN services with a critical eye? Security Now Transcripts

Old 07-24-2013, 09:55 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Why not just send a link to the Encyclopedia Britannica or "War & Peace"? Leo's shows are a couple three hours long. I saw where Gibson was talking about people's concerns for spying on LOCAL networks, but unless you are dialing for dollars from Starbuxs, so what? I was an early user of Steve's firewall, back when fewer of us sat behind routers. It was an OK product, but like most products got larger and more clunky and started creating issues of its own. As was pointed out with ZoneAlarm, Steve makes his living off from making people concerned enough to buy things.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I didn't say this was solely for online banking. Why not use a VPN service?

OK, give me your ideas on what is cheaper and offers as much security AND is easily installed and configured.
I'm certainly not saying VPN's are useless...but like any other tool, there should be some need or issue that the tool is addressing. Especially when you're paying money for it.

OLB was the only example you provided. If you have other needs, then yea, a VPN may be the right tool. What other needs do you have?

Old 07-24-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I'm certainly not saying VPN's are useless...but like any other tool, there should be some need or issue that the tool is addressing. Especially when you're paying money for it.

OLB was the only example you provided. If you have other needs, then yea, a VPN may be the right tool. What other needs do you have?
Secured remote access from home to work and the other way around at fast speeds, anonymous web surfing, just having that extra layer of security seems like a good idea in this day and age. What cheaper options do you suggest that works as well as ProXPN?

Old 07-25-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Secured remote access from home to work and the other way around at fast speeds,
Why didn't you say so? . But yea, VPN would be it. That's the specific need I was referring to. Albeit I'd think your work would provide that (the remote to work part).... and most would only allow that (setting up a connection into your work without their authorization could be a policy violation).

Quote:
anonymous web surfing, just having that extra layer of security seems like a good idea in this day and age. What cheaper options do you suggest that works as well as ProXPN?
And since you do have a need for VPN. This is just for debate/conversation:

Extra layer of security against what? What specific threats/vulnerabilities are you addressing?

Its these general notions that get me sometimes. I think the bigger issue is that many don't place the effort to better understand the threat (so they can actually address it accordingly).

Sure, more is better... but it also has to make sense. Wearing a helmet and 5 point harness on your daily commute would certainly decrease your chances of getting hurt... but by how much? and is that reduction worth the cost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet