Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:54 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times

Advertisements

For those that don't want to pay for movies there are a few options. On Roku you have ADC, Crackle, Vanguard, On Guide, and many others. There are actually more free distribution channels than there are paid. Finding them all is the problem.

On Roku you can only search the paid content. Most free options there is no search. Google TV may be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 09:13 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Exactly.

If you want programs from a premium channel, when they air, then you'll have to pay the premium price for that.

If you can live without them, or wait for them to become available in other places, then you can save yourself a lot of money.
Since I can't edit my original post: I should have added that there are a number of premium shows available to purchase from Amazon and iTunes shortly after they air. Not sure about the HBO or Showtime ones, since I don't watch any of those that can't wait for Netflix, but we buy several shows that are on cable channels within a day or so of their original air date on Amazon.

It's still far cheaper to buy a few shows each year for ~$30 a season, than to to pay $130+ per month for cable.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:35 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,366,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
For those that don't want to pay for movies there are a few options. On Roku you have ADC, Crackle, Vanguard, On Guide, and many others. There are actually more free distribution channels than there are paid. Finding them all is the problem.

On Roku you can only search the paid content. Most free options there is no search. Google TV may be different.
I only watch tv shows through my computer, including but limited to on YouTube.
I find other sites that have lists of links to file hosts, then I go there &
watch the episodes for free (including eps. that have only just aired).
I don't download any content, only stream it from the site.
Has been my no-cost (other than internet connection) method over past 2 years.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:57 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
What I want to know is, why is there still a difference? The astounding thing to me is how fragmented communications technology has remained, when there is the capacity to link every point on earth in real time in a unified system. Thanks to the miracle of intellectual property laws, I can't find a jar lid in the drawer that fits any jar in the cupboard except by laborious trial and error.

The true breakthrough in a technological civilization will come with universal standardization of everything, and that is nowhere near the horizon, and in fact receding.

A TV blurb pitches that I can access a feature with "over 350 mobile and connected devices". WTF? How many mobile and connected devices are there that I cannot access it with?

Last edited by jtur88; 08-22-2013 at 11:11 AM..

Old 08-22-2013, 11:21 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,512,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
I know enough about this topic to be dangerous so I thought I'd ask if anyone has cut their cable TV and gone to webstreaming TV content via their internet service provider? I have a pretty good ISP with fast broadband.

I've found that much of mainstream TV is just a lot of junk I don't watch. So if I could cut the cable bill and do a setup using my ASUS dual band router with an external HD, could I set up some sort of configuration so I could watch TV shows off the internet without a hodgepodge of components?

Any help or pointing in the right direction would be much appreciated. I need simple, simple DIY info...no blackbox voodoo please, this has to be pretty straightforward and legit otherwise I won't spend the time trying to figure it all out.

Thanks in advance!
Apple TV. You can get 1080i content from Netflix and Hulu, purchase digital copies of recent releases for $15 (or rent for $5) and a whole lot of other extras if you have Apple phones or home computers.

If you haven't succumbed to the Apple marketing machine, then there are other options at similar or better price points that do exactly the same things for you, but if you have itunes, a mac, an iphone or an ipad - the Apple TV is probably your best bet.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:01 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
I only watch tv shows through my computer, including but limited to on YouTube.
I find other sites that have lists of links to file hosts, then I go there &
watch the episodes for free
(including eps. that have only just aired).
I don't download any content, only stream it from the site.
Has been my no-cost (other than internet connection) method over past 2 years.
Isn't that illegal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet