Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 11:02 AM

971 posts, read 1,452,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I think you should leave him alone. If he wants to do the web all night, its none of your business. At age 70, he has earned the right to do pretty much what he wants. Oh, I am 76.
I am with you Southern man. Even tho I have a couple of years on you, if my kids tried to control my actions I would write them out of my will like my grandmother did. LOL Older folks didn't get this far in life by being pushed around. Something you youngens need to learn!!!

We don't get mad ............ we get even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 05:35 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
I am with you Southern man. Even tho I have a couple of years on you, if my kids tried to control my actions I would write them out of my will like my grandmother did. LOL Older folks didn't get this far in life by being pushed around. Something you youngens need to learn!!!

Did you bother to read the part about where he has medical issues and his lack of sleep is ruining his day life, interfering with his health and medications, and causing problems for his family?

But yeah, hurp durp, "kids today" and all that.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:18 AM

971 posts, read 1,452,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
Did you bother to read the part about where he has medical issues and his lack of sleep is ruining his day life, interfering with his health and medications, and causing problems for his family?

Yep, I read the back posts but still think his dad should live his life the way he wants. "Ruining life" is a determination by others apparently and not the dad or the dad would be taking care of the issues. IMO

Old 08-27-2013, 12:00 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times
Quote:
"Ruining life" is a determination by others apparently and not the dad or the dad would be taking care of the issues. IMO
As someone who has had to care for elderly family members who have lost the ability to decide for themselves what is and is not in their best interest -- such as defecating in public, throwing out their medications, and forgetting that they turned the stove on -- it doesn't strike as far fetched at all to think that maybe, just maybe, the older parent isn't capable of making sound decisions for himself. I'm glad you haven't had to deal with this, but not everybody is in your boat. The OP's post definitely makes it sound as if he is not.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:30 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,920 times
Thanks to all of you for your replies.

I appreciate your perspectives Bluff and Southern man. Shoot, there would be hell to pay if someone told ME what to do, too!

My Dad's situation is pretty tenuous. I think unless you have cared for a family member who has catastrophic injuries/health issues, it is hard to relate to this situation. You've got it, Downtown.... But I'm trying to help him stay in his home as long as possible.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:19 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,979,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Boy are going to **** him off...
Yep Ouch!

Old 08-29-2013, 04:37 PM

254 posts, read 211,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
My 70 year old disabled father frequently stays up most of the night on the internet. It's leading to some problems, including messing up his medicines, falling asleep during activities during the day, late for appointments, health issue etc..

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find the thread.... Is there a way to put a lock on the internet so it can't be accessed at night after a certain time? Hopefully, it is something easy enough for me to set up (I am not computer savvy), but complicated enough that my father wont be able to circumvent it (he is a computer programmer!).

We're trying to figure out a compromise ....
Leave the old fellow alone.If my family did that to me there would be hell to pay.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post

My health is starting to be affected,. Can't keep this up.

Do you take care of elderly, ill parents? If so, how do you compromise? I'm holding out on pushing him to accept more care/ assisted living until the next hospitalization.

I am constantly trying to preserve his independence.
I know how you feel, compromise is like pulling teeth in my house. My mum must think I'm still 20 and have all that energy to do this and that, I have some health matters also, so on top of that its hard, damn hard, every day its always something else.

My dad started staying up all night when he hit his late 60's

Its hard for me to watch her aging, sometimes I just want to cry then pull myself out of it, I guess I should cry, maybe I'd feel better.

Her independence is gone tho she'll never admit it, she's ornery now and was never like that, I have to bite my tongue, I just let her do what she wants, she's earned it, it makes no sense for me to argue or try to explain things to her, she's going to think the way she wants.

Can you ask your Dad what he wants to do? I know you have a schedule also , is he happy being on the internet the night? Can his med's be adjusted? It boils down to quality of life for him.

God forbid if my mother isn't home to take her meds' at the same time's every day its a damn mortal sin, she doesn't recognize there's a window of time for taking meds. I think the Drs. go overboard anymore.

I wish I knew of a forum for caregivers/taking care of your parents, I get so tired....

I wouldn't mind my mum being on the internet all night at least I could get more things done, I'm behind with everything, my house is a tornado anymore, then there's the sibling who doesn't do a damn thing.

I'm off topic, I just happened to read your post while I'm looking to see if someone replied to my topic.

Take care

Old 08-29-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:

Ain't that the truth someone in my family is in for a big surprise.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post

Ah another day...the kids caused plenty of problems.

Some peoples kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet