Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 06:12 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
my dad is an amateur singer (but just because you're not a pro singer you suck at it), and has recorded tons of songs himself, both covers and originals.
That would have been useful info to include in your original post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 06:17 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,903 times
Quote:
my dad is an amateur singer (but just because you're not a pro singer you suck at it), and has recorded tons of songs himself, both covers and originals. i wouldnt have asked this if the tapes were not his own recordings. my concern is the recordings were done amateurly too, not in a professional recording studio with all the equipment. he just had his own rigging in the basement (the quietest part of the house), and recorded at nighttime when everything else around was quiet. but they sound decent at least. it's just that if those recordings were compressed to digital form, they would be distorted especially because of with how they were recorded in the first place. that's why i asked which free software would do the least distortion. otherwise, i can try to cough up a bit of money (but not too much as i'm on a tight budget) to get the better software.

Do you have the proper cables to interface the tape recorder to the PC?

If so,

How to Record Audio With VLC | eHow

Old 11-01-2013, 06:19 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
That would have been useful info to include in your original post
so? i just need answers point-blank. do i have to elaborate like MY DAD IS 75 YEARS OLD AND IS ON REMINISCING MODE AND WOULD LIKE TO LISTEN TO HIS VOICE SINGING COVERS AND ORIGINALS THAT HE RECORDED ON CASSETTE TAPES IN THE 80S ALL OVER AGAIN to get help? do we have to be snarky to each other? if you don't want to help, then just stay quiet. if you needed more info, you could've asked better without having to insinuate a lot of things.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Do you have the proper cables to interface the tape recorder to the PC?

If so,

How to Record Audio With VLC | eHow

i dont know what cables are needed. my brother mumbled something about it's not just simple jacks from the stereo to the PC, but he's too busy to try and piddle about such things. i'm trying to initiate things myself, then i can egg on my brothers to help out when i have more info and equipment.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:26 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
so? i just need answers point-blank. do i have to elaborate like MY DAD IS 75 YEARS OLD AND IS ON REMINISCING MODE AND WOULD LIKE TO LISTEN TO HIS VOICE SINGING COVERS AND ORIGINALS THAT HE RECORDED ON CASSETTE TAPES IN THE 80S ALL OVER AGAIN to get help?
Yes you do, to get relevant info. Good luck, with the crappy attitude I'm sure people will be climbing over each other to help you

Old 11-01-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Yes you do, to get relevant info. Good luck, with the crappy attitude I'm sure people will be climbing over each other to help you
oh i DON'T need YOUR help. no thanks, SIR! other people are offering their help as you can see here (and im sure there will be others). if you're really the expert, then you offer help to people with making them look like idiots first. that's not how you help people. that is crab mentality. if you think all the other suggestions made here are silly/incorrect/amateurish, fine, let me deal with it. i can always sift through information and do some more research with each lead and suggestion. as far as you can see in this thread, you're the only one i've had issues with, not with others.

so if this pains you, you don't have to help.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:44 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,903 times
Quote:
i dont know what cables are needed. my brother mumbled something about it's not just simple jacks from the stereo to the PC, but he's too busy to try and piddle about such things. i'm trying to initiate things myself, then i can egg on my brothers to help out when i have more info and equipment.
Your computer (most likely) uses mini sockets. You would plug into the computer's microphone socket. The cassette player probably uses RCA (OR it has a mini socket output for headphones). If only RCA, then there are RCA to mini converters. If it has the mini out jacks then all you need is a mini cable male-male. No matter what we're talking a couple bucks max at radio shack.

Last edited by Cheektowaga_Chester; 11-01-2013 at 07:43 PM..

Old 11-01-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Your computer (most likely) uses mini jacks. You would plug into the computer's microphone socket. The cassette player probably uses RCA (OR it has a mini jack output for headphones). If only RCA, then there are RCA to mini converters. If it has the mini out jacks then all you need is a mini cable male-male. No matter what we're talking a couple bucks max at radio shack.
okay, i'll bring this up to my brothers. thanks!

Old 11-02-2013, 09:36 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
A) If the deck has audio out jacks like mini plug or RCA then you can just run a line from the cassette deck to either the microphone or AUX jack on your computer. Cheektowaga_Chester, covered this. You would use a program like Audacity for recording which is free.

B)Since the cassette deck has USB I'd explore what options you have there, it might have onboard storage or stream the audio. One other possibility is there is no data connection on the USB and it's just for power. What is the model of the cassette deck

Quote:
i've read about compression issues with converting them to mp3 files. which software does the best way of converting those tapes without distorting the sound too much?
Yes and no, MP# has sliding scale for quality based on the bitrate. Higher bitrates give you better quality and the lower bitrates give you smaller file sizes at the expense of quality. A 320kbps MP3 is near CD quality and you need a pretty good ear and decent sound system to hear the difference. Most people aren't going to be able to tell the difference. Also keep in mind MP3 is compatible with nearly everything on the market so you may have to take source files and convert them anyway for playback on some devices.

That said if file size is not a concern, just about any recording program can record to uncompressed formats like WAV or FLAC.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:41 AM

thanks for this input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet