Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 02:45 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
It's said total strangers will be able to send messages to your gmail inbox.
That pretty well describes every email provider on the planet, always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 02:56 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I have my own domain name. The hosting comes with email addies, "Horde" IIRC.
This is what I do. The shared servers I am paying for are by no means 100% secure, but my hosting service is not targeted by hackers as often as the large companies (e.g. Goolge, Yahoo, et. al.) are.

Quote:
Those self hostings have a fee, don't they?
Yup. You get what you pay for.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:38 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
That pretty well describes every email provider on the planet, always.
Yeah, could you be more specific OP?

Old 01-11-2014, 07:36 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I think this should work, but I haven't tried it lately. Go to a public terminal like a library, and open a new Google account. Never use that account for anything except email. At home, log into that account only from a different browser that you never used for any other email or other online sharing sites like Facebook, YouTube, etc. I think they will still track your IP address, but it will still afford a certain amount of anonymity.

If I ever feel that I need real privacy and secrecy, I use mail.ru, a Russian email site, which I access only through Chrome, which I never use for logging in to any sharing sites. .

Old 01-11-2014, 07:37 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,834 times
You could host your own email, however, it does cost a fee per month. Email is not really private anyway, however you have a small layer of privacy when you pay for email services at an ESP (email service provider) vs. using free email providers. It just depends on your needs.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:53 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
It's said total strangers will be able to send messages to your gmail inbox.
Strangers can send messages to any email account, regardless of provider.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:19 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
I think the OP just read an article without fully understanding it, or realizing it can be disabled.

Google makes it easy for complete strangers to email you

Old 01-11-2014, 01:38 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,042 times
I've been thinking about dropping Gmail just because they want to link everything I do online together. I can't do anything on YouTube without them asking me to link an email account and phone number every time, and it seems like I somehow activate Google+ once a month and have to disable it. Google is becoming a gnat that won't go away. I recently created a fake Gmail account and Facebook page connected to that email address to do some things online. Sometimes I want to comment on a news story, but it wants to post my comment to Facebook for everyone to see. Enough already!

Old 01-13-2014, 08:07 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,867 times
Another article from another source, confirming opt-out

Google just made it really easy for strangers to email you | The Verge

Old 02-06-2014, 07:28 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I've been thinking about dropping Gmail just because they want to link everything I do online together. I can't do anything on YouTube without them asking me to link an email account and phone number every time, and it seems like I somehow activate Google+ once a month and have to disable it. Google is becoming a gnat that won't go away. I recently created a fake Gmail account and Facebook page connected to that email address to do some things online. Sometimes I want to comment on a news story, but it wants to post my comment to Facebook for everyone to see. Enough already!
I agree with this. I have the same problem with Google. I'm looking for an alternative too.

Would be useful if posters in this thread gave more specifics about their experiences. I think this is what the OP was seeking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet