Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 07:44 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times

Advertisements

Learn something new every day. Had no clue the CAPTCHA was being used to digitize books. THat is pretty cool. But I still hate it. And there are other types of bot prevention that do NOT use CAPTCHA and are even harder to read.

There is one forum I hang out on that only requires CAPTCHA for your first 20 posts. That's not a bad implementation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 12:17 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
There is one forum I hang out on that only requires CAPTCHA for your first 20 posts. That's not a bad implementation.
I would suggest that's a terrible implementation, I'm blocking about 1000 per day and that's only the ones I'm logging. There is no captcha on my forum even for registration, about 2 or 3 spammers get through each week.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:13 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
I was just trying to send a site feedback on their media player that doesn't work well. It took me much longer to answer all the captcha stuff than to write the feedback. So, there is that "I am not a bot" line at the end, which one has to check (as if a rob can't learn to do that as well). And then, three pages of tiles, asking me to check all tiles with door numbers and street signs. Some of the tiles are so crappy I have to get my magnifying glass. Really? If they don't want feedback, they should just say so instead of pissing people off.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:19 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I was just trying to send a site feedback on their media player that doesn't work well. It took me much longer to answer all the captcha stuff than to write the feedback. So, there is that "I am not a bot" line at the end, which one has to check (as if a rob can't learn to do that as well). And then, three pages of tiles, asking me to check all tiles with door numbers and street signs. Some of the tiles are so crappy I have to get my magnifying glass. Really? If they don't want feedback, they should just say so instead of pissing people off.
Haha... yes! Just the other day, I typed correctly all the Captcha letters just to get another puzzle to solve - The Tiles. Again, I clicked all the correct tiles, just to get... a note: also include new tiles.
So, I clicked the additional tiles, just to get ...

Google sorry...
We're sorry...

... but your computer or network may be sending automated queries. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

Really???

Old 02-21-2017, 08:29 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
A few sites I visit uses captcha tiles. Use to be only once. Pick boxes with street signs. But now two or three pages. Pick boxes with a store front, then another page, pick boxes with flowers. The thing is that if one of the items you pick slightly extends into another box, you don't know if you should click it or not.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:00 PM

You would think that the computer gurus should be able to create a less annoying way to distinguish humans from robots ...

Old 02-21-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

I wondered how hard would be implement CAPTCHA in our forum to cut down the flow of spam. But then I learned that any form of CAPTCHA was easily defeated by most bots. So reCAPTCHA (the one with tiles) was invented....
I also saw a simple math questions posted on some Web pages. Those were much less annoying, but I am not sure about their effectiveness...
Somewhere I read about key CAPTCHA but didn't see it actually used.

Last edited by elnina; 02-21-2017 at 10:48 PM..

Old 02-23-2017, 09:53 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
This is an old topic. Back around 2014 they changed ReCAPTCHA and screwed up and it became almost impossible to solve. That lasted for about a month or so.

I actually wrote an ideal CAPTCHA but I'll have to kill you after I tell you about it.

Elena, I'm pretty sure C-D uses modified vBulletin code (under a portal? or otherwise custom). I'm pretty sure they have it built in or add on available. I write code for SMF and we have dozens of CAPTCHA mod packages besides built in support. That's how you get rid of spammers, make the first N posts require a CAPTCHA and then have a bunch of good validation questions to register (rotate them).

Old 02-24-2017, 06:50 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
This is an old topic. Back around 2014 they changed ReCAPTCHA and screwed up and it became almost impossible to solve. That lasted for about a month or so.

I actually wrote an ideal CAPTCHA but I'll have to kill you after I tell you about it.

Elena, I'm pretty sure C-D uses modified vBulletin code (under a portal? or otherwise custom). I'm pretty sure they have it built in or add on available. I write code for SMF and we have dozens of CAPTCHA mod packages besides built in support. That's how you get rid of spammers, make the first N posts require a CAPTCHA and then have a bunch of good validation questions to register (rotate them).
An ideal solution would be based on something typical to humans, but unfathomable to bots and AI. I might have an idea: a generator of optical illusions, which are based on "malfunctions" of the human eye/mind Asking basic questions on images that a bot can't answer, for instance the direction of rotation of this image, which to a bot is totally still:

Old 02-24-2017, 09:04 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
I wrote my own CAPTCHA in PHP and is successfully running on another forum. I'm retired now and finally reached the point where writing code bores me.

Kind of like a retired bus driver. You may be nostalgic about your career at first, but one day you realize you can't stand the sight of a bus. -- I'm that way with code now. The world will have to move on without my contributions.

I recall a story I was once told:

"Put your fingers into a glass of water and observe the water. Now take out one finger. Did it leave a hole in the water?"

The moral of this story is that my quitting writing code won't change the cyber-universe one iota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet